Kettle soured Gose - primary fermentation not starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltman

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just brewed a gose which I kettle soured using grain. No problems with the souring process. After I soured the wort, I boiled for 30 min and added hops per my recipe. My plan was to then finish off the beer in my fermentor with 1056 yeast. I made a starter which fermented nicely but since I pitched the starter with full krausen, I've seen no signs of fermentation. That was about 36 hours ago. Typically, I see activity within 18 hours. The OG of the wort and starter were both around 1.045.
My question is this. Is there a lower pH limit that 1056 will tolerate? The wort pH is about 4. If thats not the problem, could there be something else in the wort that is inhibiting the yeast? I only added salt and coriander, can't imagine that would cause this problem. After a 30 min boil, there should be no active bacteria left. Oh, and pitching temps were within range (70 deg F).
Any thoughts on what's going on?

Everything you described seems fine. A pH of 4.0 (not very sour at all, btw) shouldn’t be an issue with most yeasts.

How are you determining that fermentation hasn’t started? Sometimes the airlock might not bubble if you’re using a bucket and the seal isn’t super tight.

How did you aerate the batch? Lack of decent aeration can lead to a sluggish start. One of my earlier brews wasn't aerated pretty much at all and it took a good 72 hours to show ANY signs.

Couple of points...
1. Your pH isn't that low. Don't think that's the culprit.
2. Half hour boil is plenty to kill anything in the wort. I only do 10 minute boil for my kettle sours.
3. Salt and coriander shouldn't do that. How much salt did you use?

If you hit 72 hours and there's still no sign of life, then I'd start to come up with a plan B.

Everything you described seems fine. A pH of 4.0 (not very sour at all, btw) shouldn’t be an issue with most yeasts.

How are you determining that fermentation hasn’t started? Sometimes the airlock might not bubble if you’re using a bucket and the seal isn’t super tight.

No air lock activity, lack of krausen and gravity reading.

Thanks to all for the feedback! Forgot to answer the salt question. I used 15g of kosher salt. As for aeration, I only shake the fermentor. It hasn't failed it the past so I wouldn't think that was the cause this time (I could be mistaken of course).
Still no signs after 48 hrs so I ended up pitching US-05 and now see airlock activity. Still not sure what happened but it seems to be fermenting now. Maybe it was just lack of patience! ;-)
Thanks again to everyone for your helpful replies!

Back