Kettle soured berliner weisse has astringent feeling in back of throat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've tried a couple bottles of my kettle soured berliner weisse and it's got what I would describe as an astringent feeling/tart taste in the back of my throat while drinking it. It really hits you in the back of the throat and not your whole mouth.

My process was mash, pre-acidify to 4.5, drop to 95F, pitch Good Belly shot, gently blow CO2 on the surface, cover the surface with saran wrap and maintain at 95F. After 28 hours, the pH was 3.5. I then boiled for 5 minutes (no hops). I cooled and pitched rehydrated slurry of US-05. After 2 weeks, fermented down to 1.006, 81% attenuation. OG was 1.035. Bottled about a month ago.

Any idea what's going on? And how I can fix this if I brew another batch?

How do your yellow beers usually taste? Could be your water if you're using tap and its hard or has too much alkalinity. I would try using almost all RO next batch and see if that resolves it.

Saran wrap is not a very good oxygen barrier. I transfer my wort into a corny keg and sour it there. A heating pad wrapped around the exterior with a blanket keeps the keg nice and warm.

Are you sure that this is astringency or your reaction to the sourness? Bittering is perceived at the back of the throat, but this style is barely bittered. If it was astringency, I would look at how low the gravity was for your final runnings. I now try to keep my final runnings in the 4 or 5 brix range to avoid tannin extraction.

Acetobacter? Is your taste vinegary?
I posted on a local facebook group and someone mentioned that. I don't know if I'd say vinegar, but maybe.

I've read that with the good belly shots that you don't even need to worry about the oxygen that much so I figured I was being very cautious with the CO2 and saran wrap.

Saran wrap is not a very good oxygen barrier. I transfer my wort into a corny keg and sour it there. A heating pad wrapped around the exterior with a blanket keeps the keg nice and warm.

Are you sure that this is astringency or your reaction to the sourness? Bittering is perceived at the back of the throat, but this style is barely bittered. If it was astringency, I would look at how low the gravity was for your final runnings. I now try to keep my final runnings in the 4 or 5 brix range to avoid tannin extraction.
No hops and I BIAB so there is no final runnings.

I posted on a local facebook group and someone mentioned that. I don't know if I'd say vinegar, but maybe.

I've read that with the good belly shots that you don't even need to worry about the oxygen that much so I figured I was being very cautious with the CO2 and saran wrap.

No hops and I BIAB so there is no final runnings.

Hm. Well they develop with oxygen exposure, it is quite possible that your brew was not completely shielded. It could be described as a sharp bite or twingy sourness much like a Flanders red.

Age it.. and see maybe it'll go out but it's really a crap shoot with us guessing.

Back