Kettle Sour Screw Up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyerjk

Reaction score
I have made a few sours before this. This time I forgot I only needed to boil the collected wort for around 15 minutes, but instead did a full 60 min boil, cooled the wort to 100 an then added Lactobac. Today is day 4, and there is a tiny bit of sour but not anywhere near what I expect to be soured yet. Did doing the full 60 boil screw up the way lacto works and if not, when I boil the lacto to kill it, how long do I need to do the 2nd boil for? I am using a Brewers Edge for this whole process and keeping the wort at a constant temp of 110.
Thanks!

As long as you didn’t use any hops you should still be fine. Your second book can be 5 minutes. Technically you don’t even need the second boil, you could just bring it to 170*f and hold for 20 minutes to kill the lacto.

I actually just go pitch my lacto strain with brewers yeast and don’t reboil. It truly not needed since lacto bacillus is hop intolerant, even if you cleaning and sanitation isnt the best, it won’t infect future beers since you’ll add hops to those.

Last edited:
As long as you didn’t use any hops you should still be fine. Your second book can be 5 minutes. Technically you don’t even need the second boil, you could just bring it to 170*f and hold for 20 minutes to kill the lacto.

I actually just go pitch my lacto strain with brewers yeast and don’t reboil. It truly not needed since lacto bacillus is hop intolerant, even if you cleaning and sanitation is the best, it won’t infect future beers since you’ll add hops to those.
Thanks for the reply Dgallo! Any reason why the sour isn't quite there yet? This is day 4 after pitch.... I do not have a Ph meter just relying on the buds.... (=

Thanks for the reply Dgallo! Any reason why the sour isn't quite there yet? This is day 4 after pitch.... I do not have a Ph meter just relying on the buds.... (=
Tough to say, pitch size/health, temperature, will effect the speed” and the sweetness of wort and water chemistry can change the perception of the ph

Back