Kettle Sour Question (with fruit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Burloch

Reaction score
So I'm doing a Northern Brewer Kettle Sour at the moment. I did primary fermentation, and it went well. I had good fermentation activity for a few days, and I let it sit in the primary for about 2 weeks. I tasted it, and it was really good. I added a fruit puree to a secondary (bucket) and racked the beer on top of the fruit. I sealed the bucket, and added my airlock. Today is day 4 in the secondary, and I'm not seeing any activity at all in the airlock. During primary, it was bubbling pretty good. I haven't seen any of that at all in secondary. Is this normal? Any advice? I was planning on letting it sit for 2 weeks in the secondary, does that sound right? Any input would be great.

Sunfire96

Snail House Brewing
Reaction score
So I'm doing a Northern Brewer Kettle Sour at the moment. I did primary fermentation, and it went well. I had good fermentation activity for a few days, and I let it sit in the primary for about 2 weeks. I tasted it, and it was really good. I added a fruit puree to a secondary (bucket) and racked the beer on top of the fruit. I sealed the bucket, and added my airlock. Today is day 4 in the secondary, and I'm not seeing any activity at all in the airlock. During primary, it was bubbling pretty good. I haven't seen any of that at all in secondary. Is this normal? Any advice? I was planning on letting it sit for 2 weeks in the secondary, does that sound right? Any input would be great.
I'm sure everything is fine. Airlock activity/bubbles is not always the best indicator of fermentation. My guess is that everything is carrying on as it should and the bucket maybe doesn't have a complete airtight seal. Let it ride and double check all fermentation activity has ceased before packaging by checking gravity

OP
OP
B

Burloch

Reaction score
I'm sure everything is fine. Airlock activity/bubbles is not always the best indicator of fermentation. My guess is that everything is carrying on as it should and the bucket maybe doesn't have a complete airtight seal. Let it ride and double check all fermentation activity has ceased before packaging by checking gravity

Thanks for the info! I was hoping this was the case. Appreciate the reply