Kettle Sour IPA - Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

chieftain

Reaction score
So I'm aiming for some thing along the lines of Epic Tart N Juicy, and my question is this: how much lactic acid should I add to pre-acidify my wort before pitching my Goodbelly shot? I've collected my wort and I'm going to do a 15 minute boil before cooling to 100 degrees. I don't have a pH meter, so I'm flying blind here. Bru'n water indicated my mash pH would be around 5.37, but I don't know how that changes post mash/boil. Any help would be appreciated.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
Without a pH meter I'd skip pre-acidification.
You don't need it.

A good pH meter is a smart investment though. :) You'll be able to hit mash pH more accurately and it helps a LOT monitoring sour beers. Several other uses for it as well.

Let us know how the beer turns out! Cheers.

OP
OP
C

chieftain

Reaction score
You don't need it.

A good pH meter is a smart investment though. :) You'll be able to hit mash pH more accurately and it helps a LOT monitoring sour beers. Several other uses for it as well.

Oops, I read your response after I tossed in a tbs of lactic. Ah well. Added an extra shot too since I'm only souring for 24 hours.

Agree on the utility of a pH meter...but I've reached my limit on beer-related toys, for the time being.

OP
OP
C

chieftain

Reaction score
You don't need it.

So the beer turned out great. Maybe a little too sour, but hard to say without a meter to measure. Citra dry hop gives it a nice citrus aroma.