Kettle size to burner ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
Just bought a winware 10 gal brew kettle from amazon, the diameter Is 50" and 16 1/2" wide. I have a glass top electric stove, so might not be able to get a full boil.

If I buy a propane burner or get one from a turkey fryer kit, how big of a pot can fit on to one. This pot is huge I tell ya!!!!

Attachment 106339

juggabrew said:
Just bought a winware 10 gal brew kettle from amazon, the diameter Is 50" and 16 1/2" wide. I have a glass top electric stove, so might not be able to get a full boil.

If I buy a propane burner or get one from a turkey fryer kit, how big of a pot can fit on to one. This pot is huge I tell ya!!!!

image-2625322565.jpg

juggabrew said:

I have a similar 10 gal pot. I recently bought the Bayou Classic SQ14 burner from Amazon. About $50 with free shipping. You can fit a really big pot on that, even bigger than your 10 gal. It brings 6 or 7 gallons to a full boil with no trouble, and I didn't even have it running full blast. No way my electric stove would be up to the task.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I would skip the turkey fryers if you've already got a nice pot. Go straight to a dedicated burner like the SQ14 as the turkey fryers will often only fit a low-diameter pot and have all sorts of shutoffs and safety features which can be annoying to bypass.

The SQ14 is the one I was eyeing on Amazon. Looks to be the best one with the broadest base, I liked the picture where it was placed into a grill...good idea

I'll monitor the price, I don't need right away.

Thanks for the help...:mug:

Im curious about this burner made by sportsman. Anyone have this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4MXYO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm not familiar with that unit, but with the dimensions being 17.5" x 9.5" it appears you could run both burners with your 16" dia. pot on it. However, that burner is rated at only 15,000 BTU (each burner? both combined? Doesn't say.) 15K BTU is equiv. to about 4400 watts, which is probably not much more heat than what your stovetop delivers.

OTOH, the SQ-14 delivers 55,000 BTU with the stock 10PSI regulator, for only $10 more. That will get your water boiling much faster. I have heard people mention using a 20PSI regulator on the SQ14, though at 10PSI you should be fine.

Only downside of the SQ14 that I can see is that is rather sensitive to wind. But you can wrap some foil around the 4 legs to create a windbreak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back