Kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a quick question about a brew kettle. Recently received an early Xmas gift of most brewing materials except of course a kettle. I have a coupon for this outlet store that sells kitchen ware, it's 10 off of any purchase good only for a couple weeks in January. I saw a pretty nice SS 7.5 gallon kettle in there for 60. So I could get it for 50...now for the question, is it worth it to grab it or put the 50 to a better bigger one. I'm just starting with extract and the owner of the LHBS said I could brew with his kettle equipment so I could wait. What do y'all think?

Tough call, I am a proponent of looking ahead a 7.5 gallon pot is cutting it close you are going to be worrying about boil overs. I personally have a 10 gallon pot with no problems. So I say wait and buy a 10 gallon pot.

Also just wanted to point out you could just put plugs in it until you have money to buy a thermometer and valve or whatever
Totally upgradable.

I would not go smaller than 10 gallon. If (or WHEN) you move to all grain, you will need it. Every time I buy a new piece of equipment, I try to think of going bigger. For instance, when I built my mash tun, I bought a cooler that I could potentially use for 10 gallon batches.

Back