Kettle lid on while steeping grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
Do I leave my kettle lid on while steeping grain in extract brewing so I can maintain temp or do I have to worry about dms happening?

DMS is released during the boil...leave it on while steeping and remove during the boil.

rave808 said:
Do I leave my kettle lid on while steeping grain in extract brewing so I can maintain temp or do I have to worry about dms happening?

I never use a lid while I'm boiling or steeping. I lose a lot of heat but, I don't want to boil over before I can see it. Just my thoughts.

Thanx also to maintain temp while steeping instead of wrapping with towel or blanket can I just add heat from burner when needed to maintain temp?

Can you get a boil over at 160 degrees?

no. well maybe yes, if you're at high enough altitude.

boiling_point_water_elevation_feet.png

Can you get a boil over at 160 degrees?

No. It can only boil over if it's boiling. :D

Since you never boil the grain during a steep, it's a total non-issue.

Covering the kettle is the best way to maintain heat. Some people stick their kettle in an oven, either preheated and turned off or on 150 degree degrees, and maintain heat that way. But it should stay warm enough on top of the stove with a lid on for the steeping anyway.

Steeping doesn't really require good temperature control so you could leave the lid on, take the lid off, add heat, not add heat, insulate, not inuslate, it will still get the sugars and color from the grain.

The one reason I can think of to try and keep the temperature at 160 is practice for all grain since that is approximately the temperature that is required for the enzymes to break the starch into sugars that can be fermented.

But it should stay warm enough on top of the stove with a lid on for the steeping anyway.

This ^^^^^^. Steeping doesn't require the same attention to maintaining temps as does mashing. All you need do for a steep is to heat the water to 160*F, toss the bag in (if you hadn't already done so), turn off the heat, cover and let it sit 30 min. Sparge when you're done.

As I said earlier, I am new and I was curious, why would you use mash when brewing beer? I've only heard of mash being used for whiskey.

As I said earlier, I am new and I was curious, why would you use mash when brewing beer? I've only heard of mash being used for whiskey.

"Mash" means mixing grain and water. That needs to happen to produce wort, which is the liquid you boil to make beer.

You can't make beer with just grain, because it's a solid. You use the liquid out of the mash to make beer.

When I steep I put the grains in when the water gets fairly hot, I then keep the pot on the heat until the temperature reaches 170 degrees or the time is 20 minutes. The temp/time has always met within a few minutes and the extract beers were great!! All grain now so it no longer applies...

Thank You for the help! I guess every time I brew I make mash then? I need tons of help and I appreciate all that is given!

Thank You for the help! I guess every time I brew I make mash then? I need tons of help and I appreciate all that is given!

If you are taking crushed grain, mixing it with water at a prescribed temperature, so that the starch in the grain converts to sugar- that is a mash.

If you are using extract for fermentables, that has already been mashed for you by the manufacturer.

Some people do start with extract to avoid mashing. Many people mash their own grains and don't purchase extract.

First time I made beer with extract and steeping grains, I tried to maintain the steeping heat by using a flame. What I found was the flame kept pushing the heat to high no matter how much fidgeting I did.

Next time I just brought the bag of steeping grain to heat with the water, I think 155. Turned off the flame, covered the pot and waited the recommended time. The water was still very hot, very close to the initial temp after the 30-40 minute wait. My outside ambient temp was probably warm. Water just doesn't cool off quickly. That's why homebrewers spend so much money and time to find ingenious ways to cool boiling wort.

my 2 pennies. :mug:

Back