Kettle Hole Enlarging Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofuguy

Reaction score
So I currently have a 1.25" hole in my Kettle for a 1" npt threaded element. Everything is working fine now and for over 1 year. I and looking to change this hole to 1-5/8" to install a weldless tri-clamp bulkhead. Now I have a Greenlee punch, but never started with this large of a hole. Does anyone see any risk to this? I do not want to damage my $230 Ss Brewtech kettle.

Using a punch is going to be a challenge considering the screw hole for same is usually around 3/16", and using a backing washer larger than the existing 1-1/4" hole but smaller than 1-5/8" might not keep everything where it wants to be (I could see the washer pulling metal outwards while the punch tries to pass it in the other direction and end up with something not good).

I think I'd use a small grinding drum and work it out instead of the punch. I have drums smaller than 1-1/4". Or use a new step bit - might be the better solution as they tend to self-center...

Cheers!

A greenlee punch won't help you here, as it requires a pilot hole.
You're best bet is a 1 5/8 Rubi bit.

I have enlarged a punched a standard weldless element hole to the weldless triclamp size hole using a green lee punch three times it’s simple. Just line up the punch so that you are centered in the hole. The “teeth” on the larger punch will hold you in place.

I used to have a thread somewhere on here about it I’ll see if I can find it.

Thanks guys, I might try a pilot run on a piece of scrap steel to see if I go jekeane's way or yours day_trippr.

I’ve done it 3 times. Once with a blichmann twice with thinner bayou classics.

I think the key is to just make sure the teeth of the punch are set and you are well centered.

I did it!!!

I went for glory and used the Greenlee punch. Went perfect. like others stated above I took extra care centering the punch. I actually scraped the punch around the kettle to scratch a line to ensure I was centered. I hand cranked the punch and pop! I have an 1-5/8" diameter hole. My heart was racing the whole time cranking the punch and took another couple minutes to come back down to normal. What a high at 8:00am.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 203
I did it!!!

I went for glory and used the Greenlee punch. Went perfect. like others stated above I took extra care centering the punch. I actually scraped the punch around the kettle to scratch a line to ensure I was centered. I hand cranked the punch and pop! I have an 1-5/8" diameter hole. My heart was racing the whole time cranking the punch and took another couple minutes to come back down to normal. What a high at 8:00am.

Ive got the same kettle, and bought the SS Brewtech retrofit kit here:

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/ebrewing

I dont suppose you can tell me how high up the center of your hole is for the TC connector?

The bottom of my element sits the width of my index and middle fingers from bottom of the kettle. I am not at my house to actually measure it until after Xmas.

Back