kettle cleaning before brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know if I absolutly need to clean my brewing kettle with soap before brewing if the kettle is already clean (from the last brew) or I can simply rince it with water? Normally, I guess I shouldnt have any problem cause the wort boil.

Also, can I clean my fermenter the day before, let sit the star san in, close for the night and simply put the worth in the days after

Thank

In my opinion, there's no need to clean it if it has been properly cleaned after the last use.

I also don't clean my plates and cutlery before I eat, but only after each meal.

You always have to remove all trub and debris from your kettle after every brew. But how well you clean your kettle is dependent on how your wort is heated. If its heated by external flame or heat plate, then its wise to get the kettle nearly shiny clean. But if you're heating the wort internally with an electric element, then the kettle surfaces don't need to be shiny clean. I use an aluminum stock pot as my kettle and I leave the interior surface of my kettle with a nice brown patina to avoid metal contact with my wort. That patina is an insulator of sorts, so that's why its important to remove it when using an external heating source.

There should not be a need to sanitize or wash the kettle with soap after brewing, unless you brewed with something oily.

I don't, personally. I use a Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil so at the end of the brew day there is usually some burnt-on stuff where the element is. I just use a little hot water/PBW and scrub it all off after brew day so as long as I've done that then it's usually good to go. The only exception would be if I let it set too long and it gets basement dust in it or something. Then I just rinse it off and go on about my day.

You always have to remove all trub and debris from your kettle after every brew. But how well you clean your kettle is dependent on how your wort is heated. If its heated by external flame or heat plate, then its wise to get the kettle nearly shiny clean. But if you're heating the wort internally with an electric element, then the kettle surfaces don't need to be shiny clean. I use an aluminum stock pot as my kettle and I leave the interior surface of my kettle with a nice brown patina to avoid metal contact with my wort. That patina is an insulator of sorts, so that's why its important to remove it when using an external heating source.

There should not be a need to sanitize or wash the kettle with soap after brewing, unless you brewed with something oily.
No I don't. I probably should but I don't. Sometimes I throw some water in my kettle to soak and that's how it stays until I brew the next weekend. In those cases I do clean my kettle thoroughly before I start brewing.

Back