kettle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jcalisi

Reaction score
I finally have all of my needed kegs to convert to kettles. I'm trying to decide on how to do it. I'm working with a fab guy locally on a price to do the work. like cutting the tops out and welding in the couplers. However, I'm having second thoughts and thinking about going the weld-less route because I hate to pay people to do stuff that I should be able to to. Also, I guess if I'm ever in a drunken stupor and strip the threads they can be easily replaced.

Also, one of the kegs has the black rubber insulation on it. can that be welded or do I have to use the weld-less route?

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
My thoughts for what they are worth. I'm not a very good DIYer but am a cheap #@$^@*%. So i make poor attempts at DIY before calling in a pro, and if it works good for me.

I asked the same question you did of the forum and ended up going welded for two reasons.
1. The fitting is more stable and if you bump into it, it isn't going to leak.
2. Easy on, easy off. No friggin with it each time to keep it from leaking because you have to take the whole assembly off with weldless to clean. Teflon tape and screw it in. Good to go.

To cut the tops off:
Don't bother paying the guy to do it unless hes going to do it real cheap or real clean. Bobby's jig works fine and is easy to do.

Don't worry about messing up the threads. Use a coupler so threads are on the inside so its difficult to damage them and take it easy connecting nipples and spigots and your good to go.

My two cents. Hope it helps your decision.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
personally, I can't see any real problems with the weldless - my kettle is weldless, and has never given me trouble. You will probably spend more buying a weldless kit than having a friendly welder lay a 2" bead for you, but I could be wrong.

No shame in getting help, but if you need an excuse to buy a cheap welder...

OP
jcalisi

jcalisi

Reaction score
thanks for the insight. If he's too expensive I'll do the prep work and let him do the welds. However, I do have a miller 135 mig but I have never welded stainless and would rather let a pro do it. "no thy self"...

I'll check out Bobby's jig I was going to either rent a plasma cutter or get the die grinder with a good cutoff wheel.