Kegs with NON-removable poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffb666

Reaction score
So does anybody use the kegs with the poppets that you can NOT remove? These kegs are also the ones with no rubber handles at the top - just the steel handle. Do you like having the poppets in place or removable better?

Any of the new Italian AEB kegs( not just strap handle) have posts with pressed in poppets. You can pull the poppet out if you get a pick under the feet. I personally don't like them. I like to remove, clean and sanitize everything. It's hard to know if any hop debris is stuck up inside the post.

i have two aeb kegs and the poppets are a pain in the ass. after i mutilated them they came out, then the fun began. trying to find the exact replacement was damn near impossible,so i settled on the universal poppets. they seem to work great so far, they just fall out which is a godsend compared to the original ones.

Good to know that universal poppets work with the AEB kegs. As the price of good used kegs continues to climb, I'm eventually going to reach the point where I don't mind spending a little more to get brand new.

Good to know that universal poppets work with the AEB kegs. As the price of good used kegs continues to climb, I'm eventually going to reach the point where I don't mind spending a little more to get brand new.

I'm already there. I've had issues with removing posts on the new kegs though. The manufacturer threads them improperly or something, but the posts have simply been immovable after about a turn on 2 kegs. But, the kegs were replaced by the homebrew shop, so all is good. Either way, it's frustrating to go disassemble the keg for the first time only to find you can't get the liquid post off. Argh!

I was informed (while looking to purchase new AEB kegs) that the posts are "not removable" and that any attempt to do so would invalidate the warranty.

Is this something new with the AEB kegs? I cant see cleaning and sanitizing well without being able to remove the posts.

I was informed (while looking to purchase new AEB kegs) that the posts are "not removable" and that any attempt to do so would invalidate the warranty.

Is this something new with the AEB kegs? I cant see cleaning and sanitizing well without being able to remove the posts.

Are you sure you didn't mean the poppets? Seems stupid to make the posts non-removable. Doesn't make sense.

Are you sure you didn't mean the poppets? Seems stupid to make the posts non-removable. Doesn't make sense.

It was listed on the description:
"Disassembly of new kegs (including the removal of posts) voids the warranty and can cause damage to the keg."​

and then further confirmed in email:

"Thank you for your interest and email. They're AEB made in Italy.

Note with new kegs the posts are not made to be removed. They're NSF grade vessels and can be cleaned by flushing the posts with the gas and liquid lines."​

It caught me off guard.

I took a gamble and ordered 2 from another vendor - hoping for the best and will report back when they get here

Back