Keggles for HLT, MT or BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
I currently use a 15 Gallon Spike Brew Kettle for my BK/HLT and a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler for my MT. I will be picking up 2 15.5 gallon kegs within the next month and trying to determine best way to configure the vessels. I gravity feed everything today but should be getting a chugger pump sometime this summer. Not sure if the 2 kegs are better used for the HLT and MT and keep the Spike Kettle as the BK or if a different configuration would be better? Goal is to also add either a herms coil or rims tube later this year (still debating which option is better). Will also be building a stand over the summer during my 2 week vacation so the system is slowly coming along. Any advice on how to best configure this would be appreciated. Love to hear how others have their systems setup. One note is that I decided to continue to use propane burners to heat everything as I find that much more convenient for me (already have 2 bayou SQ14 burners) and recently built a small covered pavilion in the backyard so I can more easily brew in inclement weather.

Im in the same boat. Curious about the answer to this one.

I have been researching lots of brew rigs and I see people using both direct fire and rims on their keggle MT. Not sure what the advantage of this is compared to just Rims on a cooler MT.

In the same boat as well. Stand is 80% built and I'm planning to use 3 keggles. That is the plan for now. Not too sure what my next move is to building my system. I will be looking for replies to your question. Good luck with your progress.

Goal is to also add either a herms coil or rims tube later this year (still debating which option is better).

I've been debating this too, and after seeing the inside of some RIMS tubes that aren't taken apart and cleaned often, Ive determined I want something that can be cleaned and seen throughout, so a rims w a Tri clover element is my plan so I can easily clean it. I just can't imagine what the inside of a HERMS coil that you never actually see may look like either, and I'd rather just be able to see everything.

I use a herms and really enjoy it. You just need to figure out what you want, I wouldn't really say one is better than the other, but than again, I have never use a RIMS so not sure. The herms is simpler in the sense that you don't need to have an electric element.
Also, the thing on the inside of the herms coil, don't worry about that.After you recirculate through the herms coil, you run the sparge water through the coil, so it kind of rinses the inside of the coil.

Back