keggle welding back purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy9991

Reaction score
I'm building my keggle for biab use, and don't have much experience in welding but live right next to a shop where they'll let me use their equipment. From what i've surmised on these forums i need to set up a back purging rig to prevent sugaring on the welds. I know this shop has a tig welder and i can use the argon on a seperate tube, but none of the welders know what a sanitary weld is. basically i'm asking what the best back purging rig is, and ideally is there a "ghetto" rig i can make with parts i have lying around? any suggestions welcomed.

Use a pop can. Cut the top off, tape it to the inside of the kettle where your gonna weld. We use a 1/4" copper line as a purge line. We stick it threw the port we are welding into the pop can, and fill the rest of the opening with steel wool. Purge at a really low rate, it doesn't take much. It will leave the welds inside as clean as the outside.

Tin foil and masking tape is all you need.
If you're welding a bung, be sure and cover the hole too. Sometimes I just run the hose into the bung and solid mask the opposite side.

perfect i was hoping it was going to be something that simple. all goes well ill be brewing with it this weekend.

Use a pop can. Cut the top off, tape it to the inside of the kettle where your gonna weld. We use a 1/4" copper line as a purge line. We stick it threw the port we are welding into the pop can, and fill the rest of the opening with steel wool. Purge at a really low rate, it doesn't take much. It will leave the welds inside as clean as the outside.

Right on, I am going to be doing this soon too and for some reason I was thinking of making a dam out of cardboard and that would use a lot more gas. This sounds way better With that method are you just using a splitter on your argon line or are you still using a second regulator and tank? Have heard that you can run into issues with gas coverage using a splitter but with this setup I feel like if you just bump up the flow rate a little you should be fine. Thoughts?

Don't know about ColeBeer, but I have a second flow meter coming off a common reg. I set the TIG torch to about 25 cfpm with a small cup, and the back purge to about 10 cfpm.
The back purge flows constant, and the TIG is set to 10 seconds post flow.
When the weld has cooled, it should be straw colored. If it's blue or (yikes) black, it was too hot.

We don't have second flow meter. We just tapped a tee into the line and put a 1/4" ball valve on it. You'll have to boost the gas a bit to compensate. It's not the ideal situation but it can be done. It just takes a little playing with to figure out the perfect setting. we eventually are gonna get another flow meter but the finances aren't there yet. It will take alot of practice to get a fully sanitary weld. We are still learning. As long as the weld is clean on the inside, it's good enough for what we do.

Oh.... One more thing. We clean everything with alcohol and we pre-heat in most situations. The little things go a long way when it comes to a better weld.

Back