Keggle VS Kettle VS Cavern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Hello all. Well managed to put some funds together to get myself something to boil my wort in. Through asking in another thread I settled on the fact that I want something 10 gallons or larger. Now that I have volume out of the way, I have to decide on using a kettle, keggle or deep wood brews fermentation cavern. Ill list below what options I've come up with through searching, listing price pros and cons. I'd love to know what everyone thinks. I've yet to brew a batch yet but am looking to start within the next couple weeks.

**KETTLE OPTIONS**

15.5 Gallon Keggle - 2 ports -no parts. Used $185

Pros: lots of volume, good if I want to switch to 10 gallon batches in the future which I'm almost positive I will. Good price for the volume. 2 ports to install ball valve and thermometer.

Cons: isn't brand new, not stainless steel.

Deepwood Brew 10 Gallon SS Carboy - 1 port. New $186

Pros: A sturdy beauty to look at with its shiny SS. Brand new. If it truly works as a brew kettle AND fermentation vessel, then that very much appeals to me. I could always use my fermentation bucket as a secondary if necessary.

Cons: well if I can't even use it well as a kettle then that's an automatic no. I've read that deepwood brews did it successfully, I'd love to know anyone else's experience. Also a bit pricy.

Tallboy - SS Brew Kettle - 10-15 Gallon - no ports. New $109-$149.

Pros: for a SS kettle this is very cheap. I've read great reviews about it. Takes advantage of the equipment I already have.

Cons: No ports for a valve or therm. Not that this can't be easily remedied but its convenient when they're included.

Ill just say I love the idea of boiling and fermenting in a single vessel so despite the price I really like the cavern. However, idk how easy or reliable it is to do so, and it's a lot of money to spend if it doesn't work out, not to mention I'd be back at square one with no kettle. I'm starting with extract brewing and moving to all grain in the future, with no set deadline or anything. Any advice or comments is well appreciated!

I'm with Bobby. I'll bet that keggle is stainless. Never seen one that wasn't.

Ah well it probably is then. It was on Craigslist and it didn't specify so I wasn't sure.

Agree with the others. The keggle is probably SS.
Sometimes they can be a bit grungy when used, but will clean up nicely.

If you are leaning toward the keggle, you can buy new with one welded fitting from Adventures in Homebrewing for $169 & two fittings for $199.

Thanks guys for the keggle info. Tom ill have to check that out. I guess right now I'm torn between a keggle and the cavern. The biggest draw for the cavern to me is its use as both a kettle and Carboy. I'm just concerned on how well it performs as a brew kettle compared to a keggle and of course the traditional kettle.

I've never hear of the cavern...but it seems odd to boil and ferment in the same vessel... I don't know how you would get the wort off the hops and anything else you put in the kettle without without transferring it somewhere else...cleaning...then transfer it back in. Seems like more work than it needs to be. I would stick with the pot or keggle

The thing about being able to use the cavern as a kettle and fermenter is marketing BS...you can use ANY vessel as a fermenter, just put a cover over the damn thing. Everything else is just fluff that makes things easier...ie. ports for airlock, ports and valves for transfer, etc.

my 2 cents,
While the concept of boiling a fermenting has some attractive aspects:
  • No need to make up and use any chemical sanitizers on brew day
  • One less piece of equipment
  • One less step on brew day

I do see some down sides:
  • While your beer is fermenting, your kettle is occupied
  • The shape of the deepwood carboy will impact the amount of DMS that escapes (probably requiring a longer boil)
  • all the trub will stay in your fermenter

I guess it comes down to how you approach brewing. If you are a minimalist, say living in an apartment the Cavern sounds like a good idea, if you expect to be brewing a lot, i'd look into a dedicated kettle or keggle.

Wilser, thanks for the link that is a terrific price especially with the pre drilled holes. I'd have money left for a ball valve and maybe a thermometer or at least a cap.

I have heard keggle could be a bit cumbersome and heavy.

Somehow I didn't think about my kettle being tied up during fermentation with the cavern. That's a very good point.

Thanks all for your advice and opinions I am most likely going with a kettle.

Back