Keggle vs. Bayou Classic SS Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhedjed

Reaction score
So, I'm trying to figure out which way I want to go with my single tier. Currently my set-up is my old turkey fryer pot for a HLT (no ball valve, pouring batch sparging), cooler MLT, keggle BK.

I've been looking at these SS pots from Bayou Classic

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Anybody have any experience with these? I'm debating another keggle for HLT, or two of those bayou pots (thanks X-mas bonus)...I'd appreciate any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine just bought those pots to replace his keggles. A few thoughts:

- the pots are MUCH lighter. Easier to move from place to place (yet sturdy enough to hold the thermometer/sightglass and valves (+1 for the pots)
- the pots are MUCH lighter meaning it is easier to dent them. Have to exercise a little care in moving them from place to place. Not that you have to treat them like tin foil though. (+1 for the keggle ... if you want to toss them around)
- the pots are lower in profile. No top / bottom skirt to contend with. Puts the pot closer to the flame. Plus easier to clean if you have short arms! (+1 for the pot)
- the pots have a flat bottom. Better for the pick-up tube? Thats your call...

It comes down to personal preference. The pots are certainly sturdy enough, look nice, and get the job done. Would I replace my keggles with them? Every time I lug them up from the basement I will think about it. However, I'm spending my $$ elsewhere this Christmas (oops, sorry...) HOLIDAY season (don't to offend anyone.) But, maybe in the future, who knows...

Keep an eye on Amazon. The prices do vary daily and you might save a few bucks.

Just my $0.02

A friend of mine just bought those pots to replace his keggles. A few thoughts:

- the pots are MUCH lighter. Easier to move from place to place (yet sturdy enough to hold the thermometer/sightglass and valves (+1 for the pots)
- the pots are MUCH lighter meaning it is easier to dent them. Have to exercise a little care in moving them from place to place. Not that you have to treat them like tin foil though. (+1 for the keggle ... if you want to toss them around)
- the pots are lower in profile. No top / bottom skirt to contend with. Puts the pot closer to the flame. Plus easier to clean if you have short arms! (+1 for the pot)
- the pots have a flat bottom. Better for the pick-up tube? Thats your call...

It comes down to personal preference. The pots are certainly sturdy enough, look nice, and get the job done. Would I replace my keggles with them? Every time I lug them up from the basement I will think about it. However, I'm spending my $$ elsewhere this Christmas (oops, sorry...) HOLIDAY season (don't to offend anyone.) But, maybe in the future, who knows...

Keep an eye on Amazon. The prices do vary daily and you might save a few bucks.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty helpful. Did your friend make a MLT out of one? The thinner walls might worry me about greater heat loss vs. keggle...My OCD tendency (which only comes out with brewing stuff) would definitely want the vessels to match...

Back