Quantcast

Keggle setup

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

billmo

Reaction score
Was wondering how most have their keggles set up for boiling. Sightglass or not? Thermo? Diptube? etc. Im in the process of building one and I like the idea of all the bells and whistles but not if its just more to clean without much benefit.

broadbill

Reaction score
I have all three on mine, but its the only vessel I have that goes over heat. I use it for volume and temp on my mash water (which I check/adjust with a second thermometer after pre-heating tun), heating the right volume of sparge water to temp, and then boiling runnings down to post-boil volumes.

I also have 2 dip-tubes/valves set up on it so I can recirculate the wort during chilling.

I've half a mind to convert it to a HLT and get a second brew-pot; use the two dip tubes as a heat exchanger in the Mash tun. Not sure I'll ever get there.

lpdjshaw

Reaction score
I had mine set up with a ball valve and a standard ss dip tube with the short side coming out of the fitting and the long side angled down towards the side of the keggle. I whirlpooled so I never used any kind of screen or anything. I had a 2" probe thermo mounted low enough that I could do 5 gal batches if I wanted. I didn't have a sight glass on my BK, used a calibrated "dip stick". Sight gauge would be nice but not totally necessary. When you mount your accessories make sure to offset them from the little dime sized holes around the skirt.

LandoLincoln

Reaction score
Was wondering how most have their keggles set up for boiling. Sightglass or not? Thermo? Diptube? etc. Im in the process of building one and I like the idea of all the bells and whistles but not if its just more to clean without much benefit.
I have a sight glass with a T for a thermometer to run through the bottom of it, and a weldless dip tube / bulkhead assembly, with a 3-piece valve and a male camlock.

My sight glass and dip tube are indispensable to me. The thermometer is nice to have so you know when you're getting close to boiling. Using camlocks on your valves and hoses makes brew days go a lot smoother. A 3-piece valve is a nice upgrade, but a 2-piece valve will do fine as well.