keggle questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
found a keg, found a welder to help me with it. :rockin:

a few questions if you will:

1) why use a coupling instead of a nipple welded in?

2) i looked on bargainfittings.com to try and find the right compression nut to go on a 1/2" nipple for the dip tube but couldn't find it. am i blind?

3) if i'm going to use a big old hop bag for my pellets, can i get away with a stainless steel scrubby on the end of the dip tube?

thanks! :mug:

1) A weldless fitting is cheaper and quicker than having to have something welded in.

2) Not sure what design you are considering for a dip tube.

3) If you use pellets in a bag, you probably don't even need a scrubby. I use leaf hops, and just put my dip tube pointed down close to the bottom with no filter.

1. You have no idea what his welder plans to charge him so until that number is quoted this statement can't be made.

Bargainfittings doesn't have compression fittings but you can get brass ones at Lowes/HD or go to Stainless Steel Fittings for stainless.

You don't need any filter method on the siphon tube if you use hop bags.

i've already got the guy lined up and he's doing it for pretty darn cheap. and he's fixing some holes in the keg. plus I like the permanance of it.

i guess I'm considering the copper tube that dips down. i suppose i can just use a screw in fitting and solder the copper, that way i won't have to deal with the compression fitting.

by the way, i meant buyfittingsonline, not bargainfittings

thanks.

sorry bobby, i was right on top of your post. i know exactly what he's charging, he's welding 2 patches for holes in the keg and welding in the fitting for $20.

Alrighty, then I stand corrected. I just made the general ASSumption that you were paying standard welding rates.

$20 is a steal for that much welding if he knows what he's doing and uses a TIG with a stainless wire.

My statement was actually in response to McKbrew who claimed weldless is cheaper.

A 1/2" coupling is the nice bulkhead. Yes, you'll need a close nipple to present male thread to the ball valve, but it also protects the threads in the keg. For the dip tube, you can just solder the pipe or tubing into a copper male adapter and thread that into the coupling. No need for the compression because it doesn't need to be removed regularly.

McKbrew, I hear you. I always here these stories of beer for welding trades and gratis work in general and can barely believe it myself. The hourly welding rate around here is $75/hr with an hour minimum.

i think i'll be paying for the stainless wire on top of it, but he's a friend of a friend, so it turned out great that way. and yes, he's using a TIG.

thanks for the info, i'll go with the 1/2" coupling for the bulkhead and soldered copper tube to copper male fitting for the dip tube.

can't wait to brew with this sucker! thanks again fellas.

if i have to order a coupling anyway, i might as well get some for possible future use. is there a standard size for a thermometer coupling and sight glass coupling or are those both 1/2" usually as well?

Mine only cost me some brewing lessons and a case of beer. He also cut the top off for me with a plasma torch. Next time I will use my angle grinder though. I think I could get a cleaner cut. I had to spend about 20 minutes with my grinder anyway smoothing out the cut. Get another coupling welded on and get a plug for it so you can stick a thermometer in it later on if you want. I used my new keggle the other night for the first time and I can't wait to replace that plug with a screw in thremometer!

if i have to order a coupling anyway, i might as well get some for possible future use. is there a standard size for a thermometer coupling and sight glass coupling or are those both 1/2" usually as well?

Both the thermometer and sight glass on my Hot Liquor Tank needed 3/4" and were 1/2" inside threads, so I drilled the same 7/8" holes. It depends on the equipment you get but most have a 7/8" hole and use 1/2" threads. If you're having the welder put in couplings, then 1/2" is the way to go. Most of the stuff out there is 1/2", so you'll have plenty to choose from.

i think i might get an extra coupling welded in, but a thermometer won't make much sense in a boiling kettle. so i'd like to get a coupling welded in for a sight tube, but i'm not sure what the normal size is for that fitting, if there is a normal size for it. i see that some people weld the elbow directly in, but I don't think I'll do that since I'll most likely have to cap it first before I get the parts for the sight glass. anyone care to chime in?

I have an elbow welded in for the sight glass but I regret it now. That was before I sourced compression elbows. I currently have both 1/4" NPT and 3/8" NPT elbows available that would thread into 1/4" or 3/8" couplings respectively. Of course, 1/2" also works because you can reduce down with a bushing.

twoheads, I totally missed your post, thanks for that info. and thanks again bobby, i think i'll get a 3/8 welded in for the sight glass and may be contacting you shortly about ordering one. cheers.

i think i might get an extra coupling welded in, but a thermometer won't make much sense in a boiling kettle. so i'd like to get a coupling welded in for a sight tube, but i'm not sure what the normal size is for that fitting, if there is a normal size for it. i see that some people weld the elbow directly in, but I don't think I'll do that since I'll most likely have to cap it first before I get the parts for the sight glass. anyone care to chime in?
A thermometer isn't a bad idea in a boiling kettle. I like it to see the temp of the wort while it is cooling and I also use my boiling kettle to heat sparge water so it helps for that too. If you aren't using a brew sculpture you really don't need a sight glass. You can look inside and see how much liquid you have. The bands on the keg are each about five gallons. I also have an oak stick that I use for stirring that has markings on it showing the gallon makrs if I put it in the keggle touching the bottom. It's one less thing to take apart and clean in my opinion.

I haven't taken my sight glasses apart since I installed them a year ago. In the grand scheme of things, $20 isn't all that much for the ability to see your level at a glance.

I haven't taken my sight glasses apart since I installed them a year ago. In the grand scheme of things, $20 isn't all that much for the ability to see your level at a glance.

Looking forward to you getting those weldless parts in so I can make an order.

hey guys, i've hit a wall with drilling my holes. i got a step bit and everything was going great up to 7/8" and then the step bit just stopped working. the couplers i got are a tad bigger than 7/8" and it just wont go the extra little bit to make them fit. seems like it's just spinning. i used cooking spray oil as recommended by someone on the forum and that seemed to work well so far... any ideas??

Back