Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invmgmt

Reaction score
Alright, I am making a new Keggle and this time the canvas is blank. My existing Keggle has a welded collar for the spigot and I mounted a weldless Thermo slightly offset and about midway up the boil for a 5 gallon batch. (picture attached)

The new one will use a weldledd spigot as well.

So the question is...should I keep the Thermo and Spigot inline? Offset? I plan on putting the spigot as low as possible without compromissing the seal. But the thermo will probably go up to about the 6 gallon mark.

Any ides, suggestions, comments?

Thanks guys!

existing keggle.jpg

Not sure what you are asking here!

It makes zero difference if your thermo and valve are inline or offset. If you are going to be doing 5 gallon batches ever, you should have your thermo low enough to get accurate readings. The best way to do that is to offset the thermometer so it can be lower, without getting into the way of the valve. As far as the valve goes...dont kill yourself welding it as low as possible, just get a dip tube for the inside and mount the valve where the dip tube lines up! If this is for the boil kettle or HLT leave it at that...if its for the mash tun get a false bottom!

Alright, I am making a new Keggle and this time the canvas is blank. My existing Keggle has a welded collar for the spigot and I mounted a weldless Thermo slightly offset and about midway up the boil for a 5 gallon batch. (picture attached)

The new one will use a weldledd spigot as well.

So the question is...should I keep the Thermo and Spigot inline? Offset? I plan on putting the spigot as low as possible without compromissing the seal. But the thermo will probably go up to about the 6 gallon mark.

Any ides, suggestions, comments?

Thanks guys!
I really think a lot has to do with personal preference and whether you plan to make any further modifications. Will you ever install a whirlpool or a sight glass? I assume you usually do bigger batches if you are planning the thermometer at the 6gal mark but is that the best place? Do you get accurate readings, might you repurpose that kettle where you would need temp readings at a lower liquid level? Think about these and any others you can think of and design based on current and foreseeable future needs. It really comes down to what works for you and your system.

Back