Keggle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeCass

Reaction score
I am making the jump to All-Grain after brewing several extract batches. I am currently building my set up so that I will be able to brew primarily 5 gallon batches however I would like to be able to brew 10 gallon batches if I want.

So a part of my overall upgrade is that I want to build a keggle. I got the empty keg from a restaurant I currently work at. I am now looking into stainless steel ball valves. I want to be able to strain all the hop particles and trub from the wort before it goes into the fermentor.

So essentially my question is... if I would install a stainless steel ball valve assembly with a dip tube and a 15""false bottom, would this strain enough of the trub and hop particles from the wort that the ball valve would not clog? I plan on running the wort through a fine mesh strainer into the carboy as a secondary strain in order to guarantee all or most of the particles have bee removed from the wort.

I would be buying the ball valve assembly/false bottom from norcal brewing, this assembly is not cheap and that is why I am asking prior to my purchase. Also they sell additional straining assembly stands that you can buy to palce under your false bottom would one of these be necassary to fulfill what I am looking for?

I do not want to use hop bags or anything of the sort, I've just had bad luck with them and would prefer continuing to put the hops directly into the wort.

Thanks in advance!

First off, thanks to whoever moved this thread! (I am new to the forum and was antsy to post)

I was looking at brew hardware they seem to have good set ups as well. I will definitely consider the options.

Do you believe that solely a false bottom/ dip tube set up will be sufficient enough to prevent the valve from clogging while I am transfering the wort to the fermentor?

For what it's worth, I've got a side dip tube and no false bottom and I've never had a clog. If you plan to use leaf of cone hops instead of pellets, then you may need something like a false bottom. But pellets? Not an issue - they break down to such a degree in the boil that they're really not a concern. And if you whirlpool at all, you likely won't pick up a significant amount anyway.

Chances are, if you're using a 1/2" outlet, you won't have much of an issue with clogging using nothing...but filtering out the hops means less of it can get in your final product and you'll also have more room in your fermenter for the good stuff! Filtration is also more important if you brew with larger hop schedules, like with IPA's and many imperials.

If you mostly use whole hops, then a false bottom should work well for you to filter out the hops. Pellet hops, though, will seep right through the 3/32" holes. If you want the versatility of using pellets, a hop filter (either a mesh bag or mash filter, like Stainless Brewing makes for reasonable $$) is probably a better bet since it's a finer mesh and will catch far more of the hop material. Plus, these both work well with dip tubes to get every last ounce without potential fitting problems to deal with. Whirlpooling, while great in concept, is harder to achieve and also extends your brewing time. I use a hop filter and have been really happy with it, hardly anything gets into my fermenter. Hope that helps!

Back