Keggle price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NM68657

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going AG and have been pricing equipment. What's a fair price for a keggle? I noticed 15 gallon stainless steel pots with spigot are around $220. They are more if they have a thermometer built-in, but that 's not so important to me.

If you go to stpats.com and click on the "New and Featured Products—Breweries" towards the bottom of the page, you will see a brand new sanke for $175. Please, please, please just dont ask what a good deal is for one on craigslist or from a friend or off the back of a truck.

2ndstorey said:
If you go to stpats.com and click on the "New and Featured Products—Breweries" towards the bottom of the page, you will see a brand new sanke for $175. Please, please, please just dont ask what a good deal is for one on craigslist or from a friend or off the back of a truck.

I wouldn't buy one from Stpats.com if they were $5. No, I take that back. I'd buy three and shove all of them up the owner's ass.

I'm selling a keggle with two welded bulkheads. It's in the classified section. Where are you located?

My keggle cost me about 60 bucks, I purchased the keg for 30 from a scrap yard and got all stainless steel fittings online from buyfittingsonline.com I had a friend help me plasma cut off the top, and then weld on a fitting. If you get the keg cheap and do most of it yourself you can wind up paying next to nothing for a fully stainless setup.

And lots of guys use sightglasses and thermometers attached, I don't do that I have a thermometer I clip to the keg, and I have a dowel which I have marked with one gallon increments that tells me how much beer is in my keggle. I simply put the dowel in the boiling wort and based on the height of the liquid against the dowel I know roughly how much liquid I have.

You can go Here and get this stock pot for $129 and mod it yourself:

1160_62qt_ss_stockpot.jpg

Cheers

Those thinwall pots don't take fittings very well from what I hear. Even if you do weldless, you have to make sure you don't put any leverage on them or you'll twist the sheet metal up.

It's true, they warp pretty badly (the Bayou Classic's, that is) -- they're also pretty hard to drill through (without plasma) because the metal is so thin that it bends as you're drilling. I did NOT get a smooth cut at all, and had to sand the inside with a Dremmel for about 3 hours just to get a watertight seal.

I want a good, thick keggle. *teardrop*

Bobby_M said:
Those thinwall pots don't take fittings very well from what I hear. Even if you do weldless, you have to make sure you don't put any leverage on them or you'll twist the sheet metal up.

Actually they do, i helped another forum member (jekster) put a fitting on the same pot, a different size, but the same one nontheless. and it is workin gout just fine for him. No warping or twisting or bends in the metal. I may be wrong but 304 stainless is 304 stainless, pretty stout stuff.

chriso said:
It's true, they warp pretty badly (the Bayou Classic's, that is) -- they're also pretty hard to drill through (without plasma) because the metal is so thin that it bends as you're drilling. I did NOT get a smooth cut at all, and had to sand the inside with a Dremmel for about 3 hours just to get a watertight seal.

I want a good, thick keggle. *teardrop*

See above, and I just used a regular old step up drill bit to drill through the side, nothing fancy and no plasma, that's for sure.

But maybe you need customer testimonials. I'll PM jekster and have him chime in on whether he is plaesed with it.

Cheers

WOP31 said:
See above, and I just used a regular old step up drill bit to drill through the side, nothing fancy and no plasma, that's for sure.

Perhaps mine is not 304 S/S -- it's a 7.5 gal, and it was part of a kit. It feels pretty flimsy, and already has a number of good dings and dents, even though I'm pretty careful in both using and storing it.

Otherwise, you might just be a much more patient and good hearted driller than I am. I probably shouldn't own power tools. I can't do very much (by way of modifying things) accurately, nor carefully. That applies to wood, metal, just about anything.

WOP31 said:
Actually they do, i helped another forum member (jekster) put a fitting on the same pot, a different size, but the same one nontheless. and it is workin gout just fine for him. No warping or twisting or bends in the metal. I may be wrong but 304 stainless is 304 stainless, pretty stout stuff.

But maybe you need customer testimonials. I'll PM jekster and have him chime in on whether he is plaesed with it.

Cheers

All this is completely true. Wop helped me drill my 44 quart Bayou Classic and I love it. I haven't had a single problem with mine. Like Wop said, he drilled it out with a nice step bit and some good old fashion motor oil. ;) A bit of scrubbing and the weldless fitting worked perfectly. It's has never leaked a drop on me unless it wasn't properly tightened which is a fault of mine, not the pot. ;)

Honestly, I'm very pleased with my setup and wouldn't trade it for a Keggle any day.

i picked up a converted keg on craigslist with the works...temp gauge, stainless fittings not used yet for 100 (it was his spare and thought it was a damn good price) unfortunatly the bottom fitting isnt 1/2'' tho its 1/4 od. it is better than what i had> and everything was done for me.

I have nice clean legal keggles on ebay they are a fair price with or without valves, thermometers sight, gauges, or made to order. Check them out

Thanks
Pedal

Rico6115 said:
i picked up a converted keg on craigslist with the works...temp gauge, stainless fittings not used yet for 100 (it was his spare and thought it was a damn good price) unfortunatly the bottom fitting isnt 1/2'' tho its 1/4 od. it is better than what i had> and everything was done for me.

Back