Keggle MLT false bottom idea - comments please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
So I'm setting up my brewery with 50 ltr keggles, all with bottom drains to avoid needing diptubes.
From looking at false bottoms it seems that the dip tube is also used to hold the thing in place so I propose to do the following and see the small drawing:
12" false bottom from perferated sheetmetal (I will not be direct firing the MLT). Weld a M8 bolt through the bottom of keggle in the middle (I have a good fabricator that knows to back purge, etc :D) and use a wing nut to hold the FB in place. Then have the bottom drain positioned close to the centre of the keggle (offset due to the bolt).
Any ideas or recomendations about this plan?
Cheers :mug:

mlt.jpg

I use a bottom drain MLT with a full false bottom. I have no issues with it not being bolted down.

Edit: I also just used a 2" tri clover to 1/2" NPT so the only hole I had to cut was the top ( which is really the bottom )

False bottom from jaybird and tri clover fitting from brewershardware.

I use a bottom drain MLT with a full false bottom. I have no issues with it not being bolted down.

Edit: I also just used a 2" tri clover to 1/2" NPT so the only hole I had to cut was the top ( which is really the bottom )

False bottom from jaybird and tri clover fitting from brewershardware.

I am expecting to have some issue with the thing moving, since with the full false bottom it has no where to go (the keg holds in central).
As for using the 2" tri colver, for me the clamp/fitting/gasket will probably cost more than getting a 3/4" socket welded to the keg.
I want to try and stay with the smaller size so I don't have to worry about hinges, etc.. Cheers for the input :mug:

what if you just flipped a keg upsidedown and use the 2" fitting as the drain? I'm doing that with a 12" false bottom (conveniently made from the bottom of the keg that was cut out). I don't have any issues with the false bottom moving and getting grain past it. And it'll save you money on extra fittings and welding.

what if you just flipped a keg upsidedown and use the 2" fitting as the drain? I'm doing that with a 12" false bottom (conveniently made from the bottom of the keg that was cut out). I don't have any issues with the false bottom moving and getting grain past it. And it'll save you money on extra fittings and welding.
I want to stick with a 3/4" socket in the bottom because of cost - I can get a lot of welding/fabrication done for 1 corny of beer but I would still need to pay for the fittings TC >>>$$ than screwed fittings ;)

What kind of connections are you making to the keg that include a ball valve? Can u show in a photo?

Just going to go with a 3/4" BSP socket on the bottom, then to a 3/4" x 1/2" reducing nipple, then to a 2 piece 1/2" ball valve.

If you need some ideas here's my contraption. The TC cap is USD$4 as is the elbow fitting and i got the pipe for USD$6 on amazon. You just have to drill and tap the cap. Ball valve + QC would be common to both designs.

32769d1314854867-bottom-drain-questions-mashtundrain.jpg

Did you have to modify the opening on the keg at all or will a TC fitting and collar just fit right up? I have no experience with TC fittings...

Huaco said:
Did you have to modify the opening on the keg at all or will a TC fitting and collar just fit right up? I have no experience with TC fittings...

A 2" tri-clamp will fit on a standard Sanke neck... I use them on my E-HLT and MLT...

No... I had my BK before I got my other keggles, and had a turkey fryer prior to brewing, so I set it up for propane...

I saw someone doing a bottom drain using the Sanke neck and I had an electric HLT in a 100qt cooler... When it started leaking I went the Sanke route...

I am contemplating converting the BK over to electric someday... For now I have a little flexibility in case I go to someone's house for a brew day... I am working on a solution for a direct fire bottom drain vessel...

Back