Keggle Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

doublehaul

Reaction score
Is everybody happy with their center dip tube, false bottom mash tun? Any issues with that design? I am trying to decide if I should go bottom drain instead. Bottom drain presents some problems with my setup for routing the pipe around my propane lines, and cutting a hole in the bottom of my stand, is the only reason I am considering going center dip tube instead. Thanks.

acidrain

Reaction score
I went with an axial tube that intersects the bottom tangiently. It drains completely but is somewhat protected from the flame... it does not hang out in space.
The FB is a custom cut punched plate, that is wide enough that it stays off the bottom.

OP
D

doublehaul

Reaction score
I went with an axial tube that intersects the bottom tangiently. It drains completely but is somewhat protected from the flame... it does not hang out in space.
The FB is a custom cut punched plate, that is wide enough that it stays off the bottom.
Sounds cool - any pictures? Did you build it yourself? My mash tun will not be direct fired so flame is not an issue.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
My understanding is that bottom drain really shines when you aren't worrying about a propane flame. Do you have any options to recirc through a rims or herms? That would make the bottom drain completely worth it!

OP
D

doublehaul

Reaction score
My understanding is that bottom drain really shines when you aren't worrying about a propane flame. Do you have any options to recirc through a rims or herms? That would make the bottom drain completely worth it!
I hope to get the herms setup built someday. but I will continue batch sparging until I can go to herms. I'm just trying to get a stand and pump setup at this point, which will be a huge help