Keggle mash tun recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I am getting ready to upgrade from a cooler to a direct fired keggle mash tun. I plan on insulated with reflectix but also want the ability to recirculate for multiple step mashes. I will be using a pump and camlocks on silicone tubing. Where is the best place for a port at the top of the keggle for recirculating. Or is it not needed. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great too. Thanks in advance.

I put mine as high as I could without drilling through the weld or curved part of the keg. I've seen some with the port above the "lid" in the handle section and kind of wish I'd have done that. I guess it wouldn't work if you're keeping a lid on it though.

I just lay a long enough length of tubing directly on top of the mash and recirc that way (with no fitting on the end - just single sided hose). No port, no drilling and still just as versatile.

This:
mashtubes_med.png

@Bobby M. I was looking at that but wasn't sure how to connect it to the top. Also is it made of food grade plastic at high temp. My main reason in switching to a keggle is getting away from mashing in a plastic cooler.

I love these. Bought mine from BobbyM. I had a 1/2" NPT port welded high on the side wall of my kettle. The Loc-Line flexible tubing screws right into that and goes wherever you need it. It is safe up to 170 degrees and food grade. Perfect for the mash tun.

They also have one that has nozzles on it that would work great as a sparge ring, but I haven't seen that one on Bobby's site. I batch sparge. So I don't really see myself getting much utility out of the nozzles on the ring.

After the mash, I pop off the portion of it that isn't screwed into the bulkhead fitting and drop it in PBW. Easy. Easy.

^^ This. I use this in both my HLT and MLT. On my Cooler MLT I just went straight through the center of the lid. I would think the "Lip" area where you cut the top off a keggle would be a good location.

These things are great for whirlpooling in the kettle also

^^ This. I use this in both my HLT and MLT. On my Cooler MLT I just went straight through the center of the lid. I would think the "Lip" area where you cut the top off a keggle would be a good location.

These things are great for whirlpooling in the kettle also

Be careful whirlpooling with them. Max temp is listed at 170 degrees.

I only know what the manufacture says about the material. Just for my own sanity, I boiled a length in water for 3 hours. While still hot, and after cooling, the stuff behaved exactly the same way. Logic says that you won't get a perfectly smooth flow out of it for maximum whirlpool, but I'm not as opposed to using it for whirlpooling as I once was. One situation I can see it pulling double duty is in a BIAB setup where the mash tun becomes the kettle.

SPECs from the manufacturer:

Material: Acetal Copolymer

Compatibility:Yes: Acetone, Alcohol, Ethyl, Greases, Oils, Commercial Dish Detergents, Gasoline, Lacquer Solvents, Sodium HydroxideNo: Acids, Ammonium Hydroxide, Bases Strong, Hypochlorite Ion Solutions, Sodium Hypochlorite

Melting Point: 329° F Maximum Operating Temperature: 170° F (Repeated exposure over this temperature will cause fatigue)

"Acetal Copolymer" appears to be the generic name for Delrin. More about Delrin on Dupont's site here.

More about food contact from a distributor:

Q: Is Loc-Line safe for food contact?

A: The material used to manufacture Loc-Line is an acetal copolymer. This material, in accordance to the rules 21 CFR 177.2470, meets the requirements of this regulation for aqueous food contact. Not applicable for fatty foods and alcohol. All colorants are used at the recommended let-down ratio and meet 21 CFR 178-3297 for food contact.

Back