Keggle- issue after cutting the top off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bm1981

Reaction score
I just got my keg back from a local fabricator after he cut a 14" hole in the top so that I can use it for full volume boils. I noticed that the inside of the keg had a brown rusty looking powder all over it. I figured it would just hose out and I'd be ready to brew.

As it turns out there is what I would assume is molten stainless slag or whaterver it is called all on the inside of the keg. I hit it with a 3M blue scrubby but I think i need something more aggressive. Has anyone else had a similar issue after cutting the top off? I assume he used a plasma cutter.

It might be cast off from an angle grinder wheel? It kinda looks like that

I'd get a stainless steel scrubby and go to town

Brillo pads rust so they can't be stainless. Me being me, I'd try boiling some water in it and see if that loosened the crap up.

I cut the bottom of my keg with a grinding wheel and didn't have any of that on the inside of my keg so I am leaning towards Plasma Cutting since that generates an enormous amount of heat, the stainless could be heat discolored. Try Barkeepers friend to see if you can remove it from a small section. If it does, then use it all over and make sure you wash it really good with a Hot PBW wash once done with the Barkeepers friend.

Use the powder form Barkeepers friend, not the premixed one.

Stainless Steel scrubby is best on that with some elbow grease, hot h2o and PBW, never used barkeepers friend but heard good things about it. Next time when cutting the top after you pull the stem if you put some water in the bottom of the shell it cools the slag off before it hits your shell.

Back