Keggle Grainfather/BIABasket style build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wright530

Reaction score
I have been planning this for some time and decided I wanted to build something that functioned like a Grainfather, but used a keggle so that I could brew 10 or 5 gallon batches (and I like shiny stuff). Prior to this I was using a 10 gallon kettle, Brew in a Bag and propane.

Phase one includes the necessary valves, tubing, and pump to use my keggle, recirculate during mash, and whirlpool during boil. I will still be using my propane burner and brew ladder.

Phase two I plan to go electric and build a stand with a gallows type of lift integrated into it. I might even change the plumbing to Triclamp, but that might be phase three. My goal (even before I saw his thread) is to end up with something similar to Compacto's build. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=530917

Last edited:
I finished phase one today, and can't wait to brew on it! I made some mistakes that will show in the pictures. First I should have ordered a much longer whirlpool (spin cycle from brewhardware.com). When I do a 5 gallon batch it will be just below or above the level of the water. Furthermore, I had to add a valve so that when I brew larger batches liquid doesn't leak out that hole.

Due to the height of the basket I will have to do a full volume mash in when brewing a 5 gallon batch like when brewing BIAB. I had planned on sparging, but 3-4 gallons won't submerge very much grain.

I also need to finish polishing the keg...

20161118_092033.jpg

20161118_123342.jpg

20161118_123434.jpg

20161119_114030.jpg

20161119_114047.jpg

As you can see in the last photo the whirlpool connection would be a leak hazard for larger batches. Fortunately I ordered another valve and received it the next day from Tx Brewing.

Now I have to decide if I am going 120v or 240v. I would love to have the versatility of using regular outlets, but it will cost more (double the elements, wire, etc.), and I am skeptical about performance and using 15 amp plugs. Any advise/suggestions greatly appreciated!

20161119_173220.jpg

20161119_174154.jpg

20161119_174203.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the basket is from Utah bio-diesel; it was in their bargain bin (someone had a similar plan but didn't pay). There is plenty of room below and on the sides which means it takes about 13 gallons of water to get to the top of the basket. I haven't measured how many pounds of grain it will hold but I expect around 30lbs. Hopefully with grain in the basket displacing liquid I can submerge all the grain with a lower quantity of water. I will find out next week and post results.

Last edited:
I think it would be hard / impossible to get a good boil on a 10g batch on only 120v. Though if you are doing it indoors? it may be possible.

I think it would be hard / impossible to get a good boil on a 10g batch on only 120v.

Not at all impossible...5 gallons would be no issue with a 2000W element (requires a true 20 amp circuit).

10 gallons is easy with two 1650-2000W elements and still possible with twin 1500W elements. I have accidentally gotten 11.5 gallons boiling with one 2000W element but it was with the lid on and not vigorous.

All of the above require insulating the keggle but that makes everything easier anyway. Make it removable makes even clean-up a breeze.

Not at all impossible...5 gallons would be no issue with a 2000W element (requires a true 20 amp circuit).

10 gallons is easy with two 1650-2000W elements and still possible with twin 1500W elements. I have accidentally gotten 11.5 gallons boiling with one 2000W element but it was with the lid on and not vigorous.

All of the above require insulating the keggle but that makes everything easier anyway. Make it removable makes even clean-up a breeze.

yeah i really want to go electric eventually. tired of winter killing my brewing lol. indoors!!!!

Here in Texas it is summer that makes brewing outside miserable. I want to be able to brew inside or out. I have done some more research and costs would be similar either way since I would need a spa panel etc. in order to go 240v. 240v would also require a controller prior to using; whereas, 120v I have a controller that would work for one of the elements and the other would just be on/off until I can buy and/or build a proper controller. The elements I am looking at are the 1650w 120v 15amp stainless steel with L6-30 plug and 1.5" triclamp already attached. These will make cleanup and storing much simpler. I think I will need to make the cords longer in order to make sure I am on seperate (GFCI) breakers to ensure full power and safety. My brother-in-law electrician is coming for Thanksgiving and I plan to get his opinion as well.

yeah i really want to go electric eventually. tired of winter killing my brewing lol. indoors!!!!

That was why I moved indoors. That is why I created my Redneck eBiaB system that is analogue, all manual and still saves me time. It runs on 110V using two 1650 watt elements to produces 10+ finished gallons.

That was why I moved indoors. That is why I created my Redneck eBiaB system that is analogue, all manual and still saves me time. It runs on 110V using two 1650 watt elements to produces 10+ finished gallons.

Do you have a picture or link of your system?

I heated up some water with PBW today to make sure everything is clean as possible and learned that using gas until converting to electric may be a problem. I put the valve and sightglass/thermowell right next to the holes that let water out of the ring around the bottom of the keg. When using propane quite a bit of heat is funneled right below them. I fear the silicone and rubber will ruin inside not to mention the thermometer is way off. I started building heat shields out of the discarded top of the keg; however, there was a bee in my beer that stung my lip and I had to take a break. Will resume tomorrow, swollen lip and all. I am going to brew Thanksgiving!

Back