Keggle drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
I've searched the threads and am pretty sure about how to make the pikup tube and connections and how to drill keggle but am not sure where to drill hole. I have a Bud keg, how many inches from bottom should center of hole be. Also I have a 1/2 inch drain, threads say to cut 7/8 inch hole. Is that right? I know I have only one shot to do this and want to get it right.

Don't know about the exact hight, I just guessed, keeping it as low as possible. As for the size, you want a tight fit around whatever you are sticking through the hole,....but that's just common knowledge.:D

Sea said:
Don't know about the exact hight, I just guessed, keeping it as low as possible. As for the size, you want a tight fit around whatever you are sticking through the hole,....but that's just common knowledge.:D

I'll drink to that!

Make sure you have the fittings, whether you are using weldable couplings or a weldless valve, before you drill. Then you can simply measure it. Weldable couplings, in particular, come in more than one diameter.

I picked up the fittings today. The ball valve has 1/2 stamped on it. I just though 7/8 was kind of big for the hole.

If you're welding a 1/2" coupling into the keg, the actual diameter can vary between 7/8" and 1". I personally drilled smaller and filed the hole bigger for a tight fit. Welders have an easier time when it's pressure fit.

Picked up weldless SS fitting today. Thanks for info. One other thing I noticed that the washer is slightly concave on the fitting. But I noticed it after I took it apart and don't know which way it goes back.

Funkenjaeger said:
Well you don't specify if you're doing welded or weldless, but this had all the info I needed to install a weldless valve:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=31646
3/4" bimetal holesaw easily cut a hole just slightly undersized for the 1/2" pipe nipple - 5 minutes with a dremel and grinding wheel and it fit perfectly.

Good link, drain in, used bimetal holesaw. Surprised how fast it cut thru. Next step to make pickup tube. I think I'm going to go with bazooka tube.

I have mine up a couple inches and just bend a piece of coppe of SS for a pickup.

11999-kegs002.jpg

What about some kind of filtering? I plan to use some kind of hop bags or paint strainers will this suffice.

I whirlpool and suck the wort out from the edge, leaves 95% of the crap in the kettle.

Bobby_M said:
A bazooka isn't going to get a full drain unless you tip the keg. If you want to drain every drop, you need a tube going down into the recess.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but my keg is deeper in the center not the edge. Why would i want to put something arround the edge unless i plan to whirlpool . . . and if i use a hop bag wouldn't that eliminate a lot of trub to whirlpool? Also what abut using one of those copper pads instead of the bazooka tube, probably be easier to clean.

Back