Keggle drain valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a keggle with a drain valve, but use an imersion chiller and have so far just siphoned my wort to the fermenter. What is the best way to make sure that the drain valve and nipple etc. are sanitary for draining the wort after it is chilled?

I'd put some sanitizer in the kettle enough to cover the spigot. Open the valve and drain a bit then close it. I'm not sure, but it would seem that some liquid gets trapped in the interior of the ball. I'd like that to be sanitizer. You can also spray some starsan into the output side of the valve. It doesn't seem all that benefitial if you happen to have an autosiphon handy.

If i understand you right you shouldn't have to do anything as the heat from a one hour boil and proximity to the burner should have it sterilized.Does that sound reasonable?
Cheers:mug:

Onescalerguy said:
If i understand you right you shouldn't have to do anything as the heat from a one hour boil and proximity to the burner should have it sterilized.Does that sound reasonable?
I agree... My valve gets so hot the plastic grip on the handle is melting against my heat shield, so I have no real fear of infection from the valve area... At the very most, I would crack the valve just for a second to run out any loose crud that might be in there, more for cleanliness than sanitation... I give a quick spritz of starsan in the end of the hose nipple at the same time that I'm spraying down the piece of tubing I stick on there, but that's about it.

Back