Keggle conversion questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratslinger

Reaction score
I recently acquired a retired bulge-sided keg that I plan to convert into either a keggle or HLT. My father in law also just located another retired keg for me that will undergo similar conversion; I don't know yet if that one is bulge- or straight-sided.

But I wanted to know from anyone with experience converting these things: Are there any special considerations I should be making regarding conversion of a bulge-sided keg? Is there any reason that I should elect to make one the HLT and the other a Keggle, or does it pretty much make no difference other than asthetics?

Is it a hoff stevens keg? Those have holes in the side which will need to be welded shut.

Nope - not sure what the type of keg is off the top of my head, but there's definitely no holes that need to be welded shut... In fact, I've already purged the last bit of pressure in the keg using a sankey adapter, and I need to remove the stem, etc, before I proceed further.

I have a sight glass combo kit that works with bulge sided kegs. It's a little challenging but it works.

bulgekitinstalled.jpg

Can anybody here explain the difference between 2 & 3 piece valves & ball valves and the benefit of stainless over brass? There is a significant price difference and I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money to get the 3 piece stainless valve.

Can anybody here explain the difference between 2 & 3 piece valves & ball valves and the benefit of stainless over brass? There is a significant price difference and I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra money to get the 3 piece stainless valve.

From my research, the 3 piece allows for easier cleaning. you can take it apart while it is still attached to the keg. in addition to that, and the reason I bought it, it looks badass! :)

it's only $4 more than the 2 piece and its worth it for me for the looks alone. :)

That's really all I could find.

Back