Kegging without a keezer (temporarily)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiveohmike

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

All my kegging equipment showed up (along with all the taps/lines/ect to build my keezer)

However my freezer wont be here for a week or so (plus the time building the collar).

I want to brew this weekend and keg my first beer, however it would have to be stored at room temp (~65-72 degrees).

Is this going to be ok for a week or two while I build the keezer out or should i just completely hold off?

its just hard....sitting here....with brew ingredients....and kegging equipment.... if you know what I mean lol.

I've done exactly that while I was waiting for parts to arrive for my own keezer.
Don't worry : keg your beer, add some priming sugar (but make sure you use less than you would for bottles, a priming sugar calculator should have the options for kegs), and put it to the side while you're waiting.

Bonus : your beer is ready to drink as soon as your keezer is built!

(edit : can't seem to find any definitive information on priming in the keg. I primed mine with the suggestion from BeerSmith, which is half of what you'd use for bottles. Some say to use the same amount. I'd just go with half, and finish it off by force carbing if it turned out undercarbed)

Wait, you plan on brewing this weekend? You'll have a couple weeks between brewing/fermenting to the time you can keg. Unless I read this wrong, you should be able to build your keezer before your beer is even ready for kegging!

Also, no need for priming sugar :p Force that co2 :)

Wait, you plan on brewing this weekend? You'll have a couple weeks between brewing/fermenting to the time you can keg. Unless I read this wrong, you should be able to build your keezer before your beer is even ready for kegging!

Also, no need for priming sugar :p Force that co2 :)

Well I of course planning for my procrastination. Since I don't normally build wooden stuff it might take me a bit longer :) Although now that I think about it. I can just put the kegs in the freezer anyways and use the temp control while I build the collar (just leaving the lid on wherever possible. Might cost a bit more in electricity but i guess that would work.

So when I brew this weekend, I want to put it down in the kegs after two weeks and force carbonate, but at room temp.

So I think I am golden then?

Just remember, FG reading is more important than the 2weeks! Don't ruin your good beer!

Also - I personally wouldn't recommend force carbonating at room temperature! PV=nRT!! Your pressure will be different at room temp which will cause your CO2 volume to be different when kegged!

IMHO, once you hit your FG goal... place them in the keezer/soon-to-be keezer to cold shock them for a day or 2. Next, keg them and place a co2 line with your calculated pressure... wait 4-6days and DRANK!

When I have time to wait and my pipeline is full, I simply dissolve 1/2 cup of priming sugar in about a cup of water, dump it in the keg and rack on top of it. I will hit the keg with a quick shot of co2 to seal it and set it aside.

When I move the keg to my keezer, I bleed off the pressure and hook it up at serving pressure. Once it chills to serving temp, just bleed off about the first half pint to clear out the sediment and the rest of the beer is clear as ever

Saves on gas...running three kegs, I rarely fill my 5lb tank more than once a year

Back