Kegging with Sanke keg question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
For those of you who use Sankey kegs, do you have any issues with the beer going flat? I naturally carbonate under presser and I recently transferred a batch to a Sankey keg and it was flat when I poured one. Could it be because the spear is much bigger than the 1/4" transfer hose and it's allowing the beer to splash too much which results in a lot of foam? Also, how much head space is too much? Will a 5 gal batch work in a 15 gal keg?

Could it be because the spear is much bigger than the 1/4" transfer hose and it's allowing the beer to splash too much which results in a lot of foam?

Yes

Also, how much head space is too much? Will a 5 gal batch work in a 15 gal keg?

You shouldn't have any oxygen in your keg. When it's just a little bit of head space, you can pressurize with co2 and then pull the pressure relief a few times to force most of the oxygen out. the only way to safely have a larger head space would be to fill the keg with sanitizer and pushed it all out with co2 (ie no oxygen) and then add the beer.

I did purge out the oxygen first.
Yes

You shouldn't have any oxygen in your keg. When it's just a little bit of head space, you can pressurize with co2 and then pull the pressure relief a few times to force most of the oxygen out. the only way to safely have a larger head space would be to fill the keg with sanitizer and pushed it all out with co2 (ie no oxygen) and then add the beer.

I was thinking. If I fill the keg at an angle like a glass of beer it should allow the beer to flow more gently down the spear and not foam so much.

Back