Kegging to a real wood barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not gotten crazy enough to undertake this workload myself but I have certainly done allot of research into the concept. here's what I know...

if I understand your thread correctly you are talking about cask-conditioning/service of your brew. this is a style commonly known as "real ale." If you are going to do this, you need to decide if you want to do your entire batch as a real ale or maybe 1 - 3 gallons of it. The reason for this is that once you have tapped your cask the beer will start to degrade just like a growler and will only be good for a week or two.

the cask conditioning process is fairly simple in that you simply need to add the appropriate amount of priming sugar just as if you were going to bottle condition but preparing the casks so they don't leak or spoil the beer can be a bit more involved. the website below has some good information on how to condition/store your barrel as well as competitive prices for oak barrels of all sizes.

http://1000oaksbarrel.com

let me know if you end up doing this and how it goes for you.

Back