Kegging Setup Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitsuj80

Reaction score
I have a new kegging set up and have a quick question. I carbonated a porter a week ago at 12 psi and am currently fermenting a hefe that is showing that it needs to carbonate at 32 psi. I have a primary regulator that goes to a manifold with three ports. Is there any way that I can achieve this or do you guys usually just carbonate all of your beers at the same psi? I have been thinking of getting a set of secondary regulators so I could carbonate at different pressures but is it really that necessary? My keezer is at 44 degrees. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

So do you guys carbonate/serve all of your beers at the same psi or do you carbonate at different pressures and compensate with longer beer lines?

Your gas does not need to be connected the entire time when carbonating.

You can shoot in the pressure you need in one keg, reset the pressure for another and add it. You just have to make sure to shoot in more co2 at the correct psi every day until carbonated.

You can serve both at the same psi but you will have to periodically fill the kegs to their original pressure to keep your proper carbonation level and if you have a highly carbonated beer then you will need a longer hose to control the foam.

Best bet is to have a regulator for each keg so you don't have to do all the juggling. But like you I am stuck with one and am making due until Uncle Sam comes through.

I carb & serve most of my beer at 11psi/37f. I have a three gauge secondary reg that I use for styles requiring high or low carb levels, but even then I serve those at the same psi I carb them at.

So in the case of a hefeweizen that requires more volumes of co2 do you just have longer beer lines to balance out the system. I was looking at a carbonation chart and it said to carb at 32 psi for a hefeweizen.

I just use longer lines for all volumes of co2 now. Hefe at 4 vol is a nice pour when balanced but I did a blonde with lower vol and it is definitely slower, but 4 sec vs 8 sec pint pours isn't that big of a deal.

So in the case of a hefeweizen that requires more volumes of co2 do you just have longer beer lines to balance out the system. I was looking at a carbonation chart and it said to carb at 32 psi for a hefeweizen.

At what temp? Sounds very high for serving at 35 F.

So I could leave it at the 32 psi and pour if I had say 10 feet of 3/16" line? Of course I would need to calculate it out.

Those psi's sound really high, like double what they need to be. I have a hefe with 7 foot lines at 14-15 psi that is almost too carbed. I cannot imagine that the extra three feet you have requires that much more pressure. 30s is soda pressure.

That is wierd because I am just getting those numbers off of tastybrews carbonation calculator. It is showing 3.6-4.48 volumes of CO2 for a bavarian weizen.

That is wierd because I am just getting those numbers off of tastybrews carbonation calculator. It is showing 3.6-4.48 volumes of CO2 for a bavarian weizen.

That's really high. That's more like soda, but it could very well be "to style". I wouldn't like anything that spritzy though.

I generally keep everything at about 12 psi in my 40 degree kegerator.

Back