Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paschen

Reaction score
I just kegged for the first time (using 5 gallon pin lock keg). I decided to turn the CO2 to the level that I want to serve it at and just let it sit. My problem is that I'm not very good at just letting the beer sit...I want to taste it to see where it's at. It's been a week today, and I've had little samples for the past few days (I'm just too damn excited). My question is will sampling the beer before it's completely finished carbonating make the carbonating process take longer or effect the beer in any other way?

It's not yet at the carbonation level that I'm wanting, and I've checked for leaks and such and all seems well. I'm pretty sure I'm just being impatient.

I don't think the sampling will harm anything. Just be careful. a little sampling every day can put a decent size dent in the keg by the time its ready. Don't ask me how I know. :D

Sweet thanks! Then I'm going to lunch right now and will let you know how my Honey Badger Black Ale is doing.

Carbing at serving pressure will normally take 2-3 weeks to get to pressure.
Which is why force carbing is so popular around here - we all find it hard to wait!

No need to set and forget, it is easy enough to kick it off with 30 psi. I do 30psi on monday morning, then tuesday night, reduce it to 9psi and I am rocking and rolling by the weekend. Don't be afraid to "help" it out a little.

Nice, I'll try that with the next batch. Just tried it at lunch (shhh, don't tell my boss) and I'd say it's about 80% done.

I am in the same boat as you, just started drinking my first kegged batch last Saturday. Had been on gas for about a week before I got into it and it is already great. Can't wait to get another week on it. I've got to say that kegging is definitely where it is at. Just mad I waited so long to do it! Think I will try the boost carb method next time to give it a little help as others have said.

Back