Kegging Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robh1111975

Reaction score
I'll soon be doing my first keg. I did a 5gal patch of a 20min boil plain american ale.
I'm planing on force carbonating. How much corn sugar should I use? The kit came with 5oz.
thanks,

Primary - empty
Secondary - Plain American Ale
Bottled - Weissen Beer & 2 Hefe's
Drinking - tomorrow

If you're force carbing then you don't need any priming sugar, the CO2 will "prime" the beer for you. You could add the 5 oz like you normally would, but you'd probably end up with a slightly fizzier beer. I've read on here that if you let the keg force carb for a week or two at serving pressure before you crack it open that the bubbles end up finer than if you jack up the pressure and start pouring the next day, just a tip.

The priming sugar that came with the kit is enough to carbonate, but not enough to dispense from the keg. You'll need a CO2 tank or those little disposable canisters for paintball to pour the whole keg.

thebikingengineer said:
If you're force carbing then you don't need any priming sugar, the CO2 will "prime" the beer for you.

You could add the 5 oz like you normally would, but you'd probably end up with a slightly fizzier beer. I've read on here that if you let the keg force carb for a week or two at serving pressure before you crack it open that the bubbles end up finer than if you jack up the pressure and start pouring the next day, just a tip.

True. You could, but priming a keg uses half the normal corn sugar as with bottling...4 oz for bottles...2 oz for kegs. :D

Back