Kegging/Pressure Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREGORGREGOR

Reaction score
Hi troops, looking for some advice and I hope you can help me [emoji16]

I'm on my third batch of brew and going good so far and I have been bottling so far. I'd like to try pressure barrel and need some advice. I would like to get a good solid pressure barrel with a good tap and also the best way to keep this cool, a way to inject c02 and pressure gauge wood be good and I need to keep the cost down as much as possible. I'll also be drinking it mostly myself so need it too last long enough [emoji16] 5 gallon brew.

Can any wise brewers out there offer up their wisdom to me.

Thanks in advance

Gregor

Are you looking for something other than the commonly used corny keg? If so, you need to be more specific about what it is you want. If you just want a corny keg set up, buy a kegging starter kit from any of the on-line stores or your LHBS.

Brew on :mug:

To me, it sounds like he wants to use an old whiskey barrel but somehow have it on CO2.
This probably *could* be done but not cheaply.
I imagine the bung hole could be threaded and screwed into that, a plate with the same fitting as the gas inlet of a corny keg. The barrel then laid on it's side with a faucet coming out one end. This end of the barrel would have to extend through the wall into your tap room or alternatively, another plate with a corny fitting, this time being the liquid out type and that run to your faucet allowing the barrel to be held in a walk in cooler (or keg fridge for homebrewers)
The regulator would probably have to be set very low as wooden barrels are not made to hold pressure, i could see maybe not wanting to go much over 5-psi which should be enough to pour the beer (slowly but still)

Thank you both for the reply. Looking to have something like a plastic king keg pressure barrel or similar set up with a way to keep it cool (fridge or other methods) which are best taps for aforementioned pressure barrels, also the best way to inject co2 to keep pressure is this via the little s30 canisters or am I better with a larger one, how would I monitor the pressure in the barrel.

Thanks again. [emoji16]
2-5_gallon_pd_barrel_3.jpeg

The small cartridges of CO2 are not cost effective. It will take multiple cartridges to carbonate and serve 5 gal of beer. Better off to get a 5 lb CO2 cylinder and a standard CO2 regulator. For minimal cost you can use picnic taps instead of a mounted metal tap. Not sure why you want a plastic barrel when used 5 gal corny kegs go for about $50, and brand new ones can be had for $70 - $75 on sale.

yeah, i used these back in the day.. ..like 25 years ago. They really aren't very good, unless you are planning to serve an English cask-style ale at very low carbonation. Even then, they leaked CO2 like crazy. I would suggest going with corny kegs.

Yeah, if not going specifically for an oak cask, get a corny keg. Stainless steel retains value if you decide you don't like using it. Plastic does not.

The small cartridges of CO2 are not cost effective. It will take multiple cartridges to carbonate and serve 5 gal of beer. Better off to get a 5 lb CO2 cylinder and a standard CO2 regulator. For minimal cost you can use picnic taps instead of a mounted metal tap. Not sure why you want a plastic barrel when used 5 gal corny kegs go for about $50, and brand new ones can be had for $70 - $75 on sale.

Thanks I am in UK and haven't been able to source any corny kegs for a decent price. If anyone know of any places to pick up cheap second hand that would be great [emoji1] thanks for the advice.

Yeah, if not going specifically for an oak cask, get a corny keg. Stainless steel retains value if you decide you don't like using it. Plastic does not.
If anyone has any ideas on how to get a cheap corny keg on UK. I'd much prefer that.

Back