Kegging NEIPA Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPaiv12

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m pretty new to this forum, please forgive me if this has been discussed at length (redirect me if possible). How long do you typically condition an NEIPA in the keg before serving? I have been drinking it once it’s carbed. I noticed an off taste in my most recent batch but after letting it sit a couple extra days it cleared up. I’m not sure if I’ve been serving too soon. Any help is much appreciated!

You will get 10 different answers from 10 different people. I usually tap mine 4 days into the keg. I leave my beer in my FV for 3 weeks though.

I typically don’t have rules as far as when I tap a neipa. I will leave it in the fermenter anywhere from one to three weeks, and let it sit in the keg for a week before I tap. I find that most of mine hit there prime in 4 to 6 weeks, but they are typically good enough throughout there lifespan that I don’t mind serving them to others if they are not “in the prime”.

I think you answered your own question with your most recent batch. You will get a little throat burn if all the hop matter hasn't settled to the bottom yet. So a few extra days will help.

I typically don’t have rules as far as when I tap a neipa. I will leave it in the fermenter anywhere from one to three weeks, and let it sit in the keg for a week before I tap. I find that most of mine hit there prime in 4 to 6 weeks, but they are typically good enough throughout there lifespan that I don’t mind serving them to others if they are not “in the prime”.

This is where I have been. My batches have tasted great, but after some time they seem to get better. I read a lot about the danger of oxidation and the shorter shelf life with this style. I didn’t want to keep it in the keg too long and close the window even further.

If it's good and you like it drink it. I cant remember when a keg (5g) has even lasted 4 weeks lol. Unless I'm lagering of course

I think 3-5 weeks from packaging is ideal. Gives the beer long enough to settle out but the hop aromas have not oxidized yet.

I think 3-5 weeks from packaging is ideal. Gives the beer long enough to settle out but the hop aromas have not oxidized yet.
By week 5 you're losing precious hop aroma. A week or 2 after kegging is usually prime time for drinking. At least that's been my personal experience.

I start drinking then as soon as it's carbed right out of my fermentor. So grain to glass in 10-14 days. I prefer to drink my brews as fresh as possible. I don't really notice a difference after aging but I don't generally have anything last more than 2 months. Cheers

For NEIPAs, I typically ferment for 3-4 days, 1st dry hop when 50-70% attenuated (usually on day 2), 2nd dry hop for an additional 3 days, cold crash 1 day under CO2, and in the keg she goes. Forced carbonation (rolling @30 psi) and ready to drink the next day. The first few pints maybe a little rough, but enjoyable, getting better every day. Pretty much perfect 3 days later.

When on a compressed schedule, I've done them grain to glass in 5 days.

I'm still figuring this out myself. I've moved most recently to using Kveik, transferring to keg near FG, onto more dry hops in the keg, and then further conditioning in the keg with the second dry hop.

Back