Kegging: Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
I just kegged for the first time and when I cranked up the co2 to 30 psi I hear the "psssss" sound coming from my lid. I have one of those lids that doesn't have a pressure relief. I've also seen some bubbles coming out of there. I'm assuming this is a leak but have no idea what to do. Anyone?

Def a leak. Unhook c02, purge by pressing down on the nipple on the c02 inlet. Reomeve lid and try to re-seat. I believe some lids can only go on one way. Try to turn it around maybe.

relax, have a home brew.

If you're using a reconditioned keg you might need to change out the rubber gaskets on the lid and posts. Another thing that's happened to me before is that the lid was slightly askew on the keg so that it wasn't able to properly seal. Try putting some soapy water on a couple areas where you think the leak is coming from and give it some more gas. That might tell you a bit more about the leak.

Forgot to mention. I pressurize the keg at a much lower pressure. Although, i dont put my co2 above serving pressure, sothat may or may not be partof you problem

relax, have a home brew.

Well, I took it off and purged, put it back on and it appeared to fix it. Just came back to check it and it appears the leak is still there.

What I don't get is it appears to be leaking from the middle of the lid, not around the edge.

not sure what you mean? What's the pull ring?

The pull ring sits on that middle post. That's what you pull when you're purging the keg. Do you have that on yours? I know that with one of my kegs the ring was sitting funny on the post and I had to turn it to achieve pressure.

cornelius-keg-lid-new.jpg

He doesn't have a pull ring. The lid you have has a pressure blow off. I had a leak with one of those, from what I've seen it's not easily fixable. I just removed the lid and filled some jb weld epoxy in from the bottom of the leaky blow off.

Thanks.

I do have another lid, maybe I'll switch that one out. Not sure why I didn't think of that before.

He doesn't have a pull ring. The lid you have has a pressure blow off. I had a leak with one of those, from what I've seen it's not easily fixable. I just removed the lid and filled some jb weld epoxy in from the bottom of the leaky blow off.

Ah, ok, I was wondering about that. Thanks.

Hope it gets fixed.

Well I just replaced the lid and it appears to be working so far....that sucks, I bought that keg refurbished and it was supposed to be pressure tested.

Latest posts

Back