Kegging Naturally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappyVanWinkle

Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader.....Thanks in advance for your advice and responses.

I've got some home brew that I am gonna keg for the first time and since I have until 05/02/09 (KY Derby) I want to naturally carbonate my brew in the "Corny". I think i'm gonna use the suggestion of half of my priming sugar
(2.5 oz) and sit and wait. My question is should I go ahead and purge the O2 out before I store it or should I do nothing after filling the brew.

Again..... thanks in advance and I look forward to more discussions.

You will want to hit it with 30 psi to seal the lid, then purge it a couple of times to get rid of the O2 on top.

It can never hurt to purge out the O2, as that can create off flavors, I have a small hose that is just open w/ a point that I use to purge air off anything I want/need. I use it to purge the top of my keg before I seal it up.

Do you already have a Co2 Tank? i'm guessing not since you're carbing Natural. But it you do by all means purge away. If not are you asking if you should purge once it builds enough pressure to purge?

Do you already have a Co2 Tank? i'm guessing not since you're carbing Natural. But it you do by all means purge away. If not are you asking if you should purge once it builds enough pressure to purge?

Yea i have a CO2 tank, i just wanted to let it sit and see what happens since I have alot time. I plan on experimenting with the forced-carb methods in the future. I had read some posts on this method and atleast wanted to try it since time is not an issue.

If not are you asking if you should purge once it builds enough pressure to purge?[/QUOTE]

I was curious after I fill the brew into the corny...should I purge. Figured I would be just was making sure though. Thanks!!!!

Back