Kegging my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am about to keg my first batch tomorrow! It's a irish red ale that aged for 2 weeks and than a 3rd on oak. Since I am used to needing to allow time for conditioning with bottles, do I need to do the same with a keg? Carbonate it, right off and let it sit for 7 to 10? Or once I get it all force carbonated can I just start drinking?

Thanks for the help!

Lots of opinions. You can force carb and drink within a few days if you want. The downside is that your beer may still be "green" although a red ale would be better to drink green than many others I would think. I have heard some say that force carbing can also add a carbonic(?) bite to the beer, much more so than longer slower carbing.

I use the "set it and forget it" method. I hook the keg up to serving pressure ~10 or 12 psi and leave it for 3 weeks. When the time comes, its fully carbed and had 3 more weeks to mature!

I've only kegged one time this far, however I think I will go with the "set it and forget it" method for my next attempt.

My next brew that will be ready for bottling is one that will likely need to mellow for a while before it is drinkable. So it will be sitting for a while anyways.

Yeah why rush it if you dont have to. Its really no different than bottling. you wouldnt bottle today then crack one open tomorrow!

Back