Kegging my cider! Question on stabilization.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief91

Reaction score
Hoping to keg my first cider tonight (first time kegging, 5 or 6th batch of cider) and I have a question on stabilizing it.

I've fined with DualFine and am planning on backsweetening with a can or two of FAJC and just putting it into my fridge kegerator and serving. It's been cold crashed with DualFine for 48hrs now. Is stabilizing necessary since its been fined and it will be kept cold? Obviously I'll be adding sugar into the mix with FAJC but since it will be kept at around 40F, fermentation shouldn't start again right?

I used Brewers Best Cider Yeast, not sure if that matters, figured it might because of certain yeasts liking certain temperatures. Will this yeast still ferment at the coldest fridge setting?

Not concerned about the keg exploding since it has a safety valve, more concerned about messing with the ABV/flavor.

I have Pottasium Sorbate and Campden tablets, i've just seen reports of them giving odd flavors and would like to avoid that. Never used them, don't know how they taste.

SG: 1.055
FG: 1.000
Back-sweeten to 1.020

The largest batch I've kegged has only been 2 gallons so YMMV..but..

Tossing into fermenter, I'm at 1.055, let it go for 4 weeks, sometimes 6. Rack, sweeten with FAJC, force carb two weeks and just drank until it is gone. I've never bothered to put any stabilizing stuff into it, taste seems to improve as it gets older.

I never put any additives in mine. i
It always gets slightly dryer in the fridge as time goes by, but I just accept it. My wife likes it sweet, I like dry, so I usually wait for a while before I drink any of it.

So I kegged, force carbed by turning it to 30psi and rocking the keg back and forth for 200 seconds. First cup was great! Second was ok at first but got flat a few seconds after pouring. Tried a few things and now my keg isn’t putting any pressure to the “high side” gauge, whereas my low side gauge is showing gas.

Any thoughts?

So I kegged, force carbed by turning it to 30psi and rocking the keg back and forth for 200 seconds. First cup was great! Second was ok at first but got flat a few seconds after pouring. Tried a few things and now my keg isn’t putting any pressure to the “high side” gauge, whereas my low side gauge is showing gas.

Any thoughts?

Answered my own question about 10 seconds after posting this lol. I didn’t realize it had a lock nut to lock the pressure in. So I couldn’t turn the gas valve far enough to actually put any gas in!

Attached is a pic of the first pint and it’s a great angry orchard clone, which is what I was going for.

5gal Motts
1 bag dark brown sugar
Ferment out
Back-sweetened with 2 things of FAJC
Forgot to take a FG after the FJAC but it tastes damn good and this is 1 1/2 weeks from pitching yeast!

Has a sliiight wine flavor but I assume that will come out with age if it gets to age at all :)

Attachments

• C218082B-66DC-4159-A50A-EF6FFB06C9E3.jpeg
    C218082B-66DC-4159-A50A-EF6FFB06C9E3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
Answered my own question about 10 seconds after posting this lol. I didn’t realize it had a lock nut to lock the pressure in. So I couldn’t turn the gas valve far enough to actually put any gas in!

Attached is a pic of the first pint and it’s a great angry orchard clone, which is what I was going for.

5gal Motts
1 bag dark brown sugar
Ferment out
Back-sweetened with 2 things of FAJC
Forgot to take a FG after the FJAC but it tastes damn good and this is 1 1/2 weeks from pitching yeast!

Has a sliiight wine flavor but I assume that will come out with age if it gets to age at all :)

She's a beaut Clark

Back