Kegging into a sankey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan McFarland

Reaction score
I dont have a sankey coupler though I want to keg into a sankey. is this possible to just add the beer through the hole where the spike will go, close it and pressurize some how? I'm pretty new to kegging and looking for advice.

Thanks!

Without a sanke coupler you are kind of asking for the impossible...pull open the liquid side, remove the check valve and you can fill down the stem. Put a piece of hose on the gas barb and place the end into a jar full of water or sanitizer to act as an airlock as you fill.

Sankey kegging definitely isn't for beginners. They're designed to be cleaned, stored, and filled under pressure. And much more challenging to clean at home, without a proper keg washer.

But as said above, get your coupler, remove the check valve, and fill through the spear with the gas end cracked (twist valve connectors are very helpful for this), or hose to bucket of sani works too. I wouldn't take the spear out unless you know what you're doing.

And even if you do take the spear out to fill, you still need the coupler to put it under pressure.

How are you intending to clean and sanitize this keg?

I have taken the spear out, acid washed, rinsed and will sanitize with starsan prior to filling, would it be easier to fill keg, close it and then take it to the location and force carb when i have the coupler and CO2?

Back