Kegging in modified sankes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
Anyone keg in a sanke with the guts removed? What I'm thinking is this: take out the guts and use a 2'' tc blanking plate with gas and liquid cornelius studs welded/brazed on. Easier to clean than standard sanke bits, and easier than cleaning/sanitizing 3 5G cornies. I'm doing 15G batches now in my brewhemoth. Might have to have a different length liquid diptube. Thoughts/links? Cheers, abbeydumarcos

I'm not sure there's room on a 2" blank for more than one corny QD. The sanke parts aren't all that hard to clean, especially once you get the hang of it. If you're not fermenting under pressure, you can just take the stem out, and put a drilled stopper in the hole, or stretch an orange carboy cap over it.

I'm not sure why... just assumed that standard sankes were a pain and required specialized equipment. I'll look into it again. I've read about how to take the guts out... assuming you'd need to do this every time. Again, this is for storage and dispensing, not fermenting.

I'm not sure why... just assumed that standard sankes were a pain and required specialized equipment. I'll look into it again. I've read about how to take the guts out... assuming you'd need to do this every time. Again, this is for storage and dispensing, not fermenting.

If it's just for storage and serving then there's absolutely no reason to make any modifications. You will need a sanke coupler to serve out of it if you don't already have one. It might be a pain to take the spear out the first time, but you'll get the hang of it quickly and it will soon become second nature. If you don't like messing with the spiral retaining rings, you can replace them with 2" snap rings.

Last edited by a moderator:

well, there is specialized equipment made for removing the spear, but you really don't need it. most get by with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

the special tools are nice (one tool presses down on the spear and seats the gasket while you use another tool to remove or replace the ring) but pretty expensive new... sabco sells them as well as a few other places. the tools would be worth owning if you had to deal with dozens of kegs every day..

The only thing I'm curious about still is damaging the ring with repeated installations, and being able to clean the spear. Is there any way to clean/replace the rubber seal that the ball seats on?

Back