Kegging? How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
When you keg your beer do you do all of the ageing in the secondary or do you allow it to age in the keg?
Do you age it flat then carb it?
How long does it take to carb the keg when using bottled co2?

I tend to age in the carboy, but aging in a keg is cool too. I'd age it uncarbonated.

Once you get the beer cold in the keg, you can carbonate in a matter of hours by cranking the pressure up to 30-40 PSI and shaking the keg vigorously for several minutes. Let it sit a few hours then back off the pressure to dispensing pressure.

That method is imprecise, and a better way is to get a carbonation table and set the pressure to the appropriate PSI for your fridge temperature and desired carbonation level. Then you leave it under that pressure for several days. I find it takes 5-7 days to get really good using this method.

Cheers :D

Well I'm no expert seein' as how I don't have a kegging system, but from what I understand, with a CO2 tap, the beer will last as long as it takes for you to drink it, but with a picnic tap it'll get oxygenated after a day or 2 (?) And I don't think it matters much on the type of beer - but I could be wrong.

Dragonfly said:
but with a picnic tap it'll get oxygenated after a day or 2
Actually it's the air pumps that will oxygenate the beer. Many people use picnic taps in lieu of a bar tap.

OtherWhiteMeat said:
how long does the beer last in a corny keg?
Most average beers hit their peak flavor between 6 and 8 months. Depending upon the gravity and IBU's, some beers, i.e. blondes, helles, light lagers will peak earlier. Heavy, strong ales, Barleywines, Imperials will age for quite some time.

Wild

In order to store in the keg, you will have to hit it with some pressure in order to properly seal the lid. A good practice is to hit the empty keg with about 30 psi, vent it, hit it again, and vent. Then remove the lid and fill with beer. This will successfully purge the keg of any oxygen. Once the keg is filled, put the lid on and hit it with 30 psi to seal it. Then let it age.

Back