Kegging HELP NEEDED!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksig88

Reaction score
So I have an Oktoberfest and a Mandarin Hefeweizen in my corny kegs. The Oktoberfest has been in there for at least 3 weeks and the hefe for 2 weeks.....

This would be my first kegging adventure and so i was anxious and tried to force carb the Oktoberfest, but that didnt turn out well. So I took it off CO2 and been venting it and currently put it at serving pressure, tried it and it didnt taste well, tasted WAY carbonated!

The hefe, i tried the set and forget with boiling sugar then adding beer then leave it for two weeks. Hooked it up and tried it, not good at all.

Ive made quite a few beers and had many success with bottling, IS there anything you guys suggest i do?

Remove the oktoberfest from the gas completely and continue venting it until the carbonation level comes down to where you want it. Then you can hook it up at serving pressure and enjoy. FWIW the set and forget method is chilling the beer, setting it at serving pressure and then waiting ~2 weeks. Priming the keg with sugar and letting it carb up at room temperature is natural carbonation and a completely different process. A lot of people reccomend using 1/2-2/3 the amount of priming sugar when priming in a keg vs bottling because of the relative difference in headspace. If the hefe is also overcarbed, use the same process as above to degas it.

If you're in a hurry to degas a severely overcarbed beer you can put a liquid QD on your gas line and then pump gas through the liquid out diptube while the pressure relief valve is open. The turbulence of the gas bubbling up through the beer will knock a lot of CO2 out of solution and give you a big jump start on the degassing process. Good luck!

Awesome I appreciate the help. I was so excited for these beers, but patience is a virtue!

Back