Kegging - Frankenstein Poppet/Post, will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricerahops220

Reaction score
Hi all,

So over the past several batched I have begun to slowly switch the posts and poppets on all of my kegs to the universal type (with the 3/4" post and conical looking poppets). First time doing this, everything worked out great, so as a result, I ordered another set for the next keg. I have never had a problem with these until I purchased a, new to me, kegerator. The first batch i couldn't tell if it was just the line freezing or the spring on the liquid side poppet pushing up too hard against the post preventing beer from coming out. I struggled through most of the batch until I found out it was the spring.

Next batch rolls around, I stick it in keg number 2, with the universal style poppets but this time I trim down the spring on the liquid side by half of a rung (as many people here have said). I noticed a small leak coming from the under side of the liquid post and tightened it as best I could (virtually no beer coming out) but still didn't feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

Tonight I kicked the batch and took the keg apart to clean it and found that the cut spring had actually twisted around the beveled face of the pick up tube and cut into the gasket.

Now I am wondering, should I switch all of the liquid side poppets back to the proper corny type? In doing so, can I still use the universal post that I have? Or are the universal posts taller than standard corny poppets require?

Maybe I somehow try to bed the cut poppet more so it doesn't point in a downward direction as much (i tried this originally).

Anyone with knowledge or experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Back