Kegging for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
I will be kegging this weekend, but have a lot of request for samples from friends. Could i bottle a 12 pack and keg the rest? Also do i just siphon into keg like i would a bottling bucket? thanks for any replies

I'm wrestling with this also. Unless you want to invest in a counterpressuere filler, the secret is going to be reducing the priming sugar to the appropriate amount. If 4oz goes into 5 gallons, 2 would go into 2.5 etc. It works out to about 3/4 of a teaspoon for 12 oz of beer.

I have brought some brew to a friends house in a two liter soda bottle that i filled directly off my keg tap. I turned the pressure down to 3 psi, purged the keg, and let it fill about half way. Of course, cap fast and drink it the same day. You can make it last by putting a tire air fill valve in the cap of the bottle and hitting it with pressure off your regulator.

I might get a larger fermenter and step up to 6-7 gallon batches so I can still get a full keg and some bottles. Then again, I got into kegging because i hate bottling. Eh.

I was thinking of siphoning into my bottling bucket, filling bottles ,then filling keg. then ill use carbonation tablets in the bottles.

If you're going to prime condition your kegs with priming sugar and you're only bottling a twelve pack, I would use the normal amount of corn sugar in the bottling bucket (1/2 cup for priming a keg). Then siphon off your 12-pack and keg the rest.

To account for a slightly smaller amount of priming sugar you used (1/2 cup VS 3/4 cup), you'll want to store the bottles in a warmer setting (70-72 degrees) and give it at least three weeks to carb.

If you're going to force carb your keg,,,uh,,,not sure.

1 12-pack is roughly 1/4 of your batch so maybe you could adjust down your priming sugar accordingly (1/4 of 3/4 cup).

That's okay. I force carb too.

You can do what I do to bottle.

Go ahead and keg the entire batch and get it to your desired carbonation.

To do this, you'll need a liquid hose with a picnic (cheap plastic) tap attached. The end of a racking cane fits very snuggly into the picnic tap nozzle. (MJake sure the cane is pushed all the way into the nozzle of the tap) Go to your local HBS and buy a drilled stopper (I think it is a #7) that will fit over the other end of your racking cane.

You now have a racking cane extending from your picnic tap with a stopper about midway up the cane. The idea is that this racking will go into your bottle and the stopper will slide down snug onto the bottle.

Holding the fitting tight against the bottle, open your picnic tap to the lock position. The bottle will begin to fill but stop as the pressure is equalized. Use your finger to slight push against the side of the stopper to allow the air to "burp" out of the bottle.

Continue to slowly let the air escape and the bottle will slowly fill without foaming. Get it to the top, pull out the racking cane (shut off the tap first) and cap it.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Very easy and you can get a sixer filled in less that 5-10 minutes. Move the bottles to a fridge and open when ready. I just openned a porter this afternoon that I bottled this way last week and it was perfect.

Back