Kegging for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freki

Reaction score
I have been thinking I may do this just for ease and not having to pasteurize my bottles, but every source discusses it from the stand point of someone who is already familiar with kegging, connections, and whatnot. Is there anywhere I can find a source that will explain it in simple terms for someone who has never used one before? Mostly trying to figure out the method of carbonating in the keg for bottling and the equipment needed.

I know some may say just keg it rather than bottle it, bit that just isn't feasible for my available space (having a way to keep a keg cold is not happening in my current location)

I don't think you'd have much success bottling from a warm keg. At higher temperatures, CO2 requires more pressure to achieve a given carbonation level and also comes out of solution much more easily as the pressure drops. I'm guessing that the result would be excesive foam and under carbonated beer in the bottles.

If you allow sufficient time in the fermenter and specific gravity remains stable for 2 to 3 days there's really no need to pasteurize. I am assuming you are referring to beer, and not cider.

you could try chilling the keg while it’s carbing at 30psi (move a shelf in your main fridge for a day or two). there’s threads on HBT if you want a super quick carb, you can take the keg out and roll it on your knee (use the search function for “quick carb”).
Also, Biermuncher has a thread about how to make a beergun bottle filler.
You could balance your kegging system more by filling with the keg on the floor and bottles on the counter.
This sounds like a lot of work to me though. Could be useful if you like to stop your fermentations early and stabilize and force carb. I.e. sweetened sparkling mead is a challenge unleas using beer yeast or force carbing.

• Keg your beer
  • Chill it to around 40F
  • (Force) carbonate at 30 psi, then keep at 12-15 psi for a few days to stabilize
  • Transfer the cold carbonated beer to your clean and sanitized bottles using a counter pressure method (e.g., per @BierMuncher, as mentioned above) with a drilled stopper over your bottle filler tube to reduce foaming. Foaming causes carbonation loss.

Thanks for the info, it seems it will not work for me, as I'd have no way to keep it cool for a prolonged period of time, my refrigerator is usually pretty full as it is, not much room left for a keg. Maybe someday! Glad to find out before buying some stuff!

As long as you have some extra space, an older, used refrigerator or freezer easily becomes a cold chamber for fermentation and/or keg chamber. Depending on where you live, Craigslist or a Restore Store are good resources for used stuff like that, as are family members.

Temp control during fermentation is first priority. When you keg, you need some place to keep them cool during storage (a cellar, refrigerator) and even cooler (40-48F) for when you dispense.

As long as you have some extra space, an older, used refrigerator or freezer easily becomes a cold chamber for fermentation and/or keg chamber. Depending on where you live, Craigslist or a Restore Store are good resources for used stuff like that, as are family members.

Temp control during fermentation is first priority. When you keg, you need some place to keep them cool during storage (a cellar, refrigerator) and even cooler (40-48F) for when you dispense.
That's the issue, I don't have the room, or I'd just keg it and set up a tap. I was initially thinking of getting one to use for bottling, as bottles are far easier to store in my small-ish townhouse. A few here, some in that corner, etc.

That's the issue, I don't have the room, or I'd just keg it and set up a tap. I was initially thinking of getting one to use for bottling, as bottles are far easier to store in my small-ish townhouse. A few here, some in that corner, etc.
I understand how space can be tight. But even a small, counter height refrigerator can hold 2-3 kegs, although some may need a modification first. I'd make that space a priority. :D

I understand how space can be tight. But even a small, counter height refrigerator can hold 2-3 kegs, although some may need a modification first. I'd make that space a priority. :D
I was thinking that, but just can't make the space available, but it is a plan for the future when we (hopefully) buy a house in the next few years. Under the counter cold storage kitchen island/bar :cask:

cube fridge and 1 gallon keg my friend :rock:
i’m sure if you put a sweet wood top on it, most people would mistake it for a piece of furniture. you may even be able to put it in place of your night stand or coffee table :ban:

cube fridge and 1 gallon keg my friend :rock:
i’m sure if you put a sweet wood top on it, most people would mistake it for a piece of furniture. you may even be able to put it in place of your night stand or coffee table :ban:
The problem with that is I am only permitted by the lease to have a refrigerator in the kitchen, and thats pretty much totally occupied as is. So space is a major issue on that. I WISH I could do a set up with 6 taps and have a whole bunch of good stuff going. I have space in my living room, just not permitted to do it under the lease.

The problem with that is I am only permitted by the lease to have a refrigerator in the kitchen
Wow!

You can cool a keg in an insulated cooler with ice for a few days, long enough to get carbonation stabilized, then bottle it from there. Where's a will there's a way...

Back