Kegging & Filtration...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Brew-ness

Reaction score
Hey...I'm new to the brewing....and kegging. I've been told that kegging allows for greater filtration and thus greater clarity and crisper finishing beers.

If anyone can provide info on how and when to filter the beer during the conditioning or kegging process, that would be great.

Thanks.

You can do several things to get better clarity
*Add irish moss to the end of the boil
*Add gelatin finings into the 2ndary
*Cold Crash your beer by chilling it thoroughly before racking. Sediment drops out and compacts the yeast cake on the bottom.
*Use a plate filter to filter out particulate matter: Plate Filter Kit - Deluxe | MoreBeer Some view this as rather unnecessary. Your mileage will vary.

All of these things can be done with bottling OR kegging. I don't see how kegging has an advantage beside being less of a hassle than bottling.

Reality check... 95% of beer shouldn't be consumed in fewer than 6 weeks after brewing. If you're trying to do that, that's why your beer is cloudy. Leave your beer in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks before kegging.

Bobby,

Not to worry on that end...I had this batch in the primary for 2 weeks, its been in the 2ndary for 4 weeks and I don't plan to keg it for another 10 days+.

Back