kegging disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Man I just had a disaster racking to my keg. I have started pushing it with CO2, and it was going really slow. I popped the lid and the beer was pure foam! I ended up going back to just a racking cane. I was really liking the CO2 method since the beer never touched oxygen, and now I'm worried my beer is oxygenated. I can't figure out what happened. I basically use this method: http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/racking-co2 but I put the lid on and push through the liquid line, and just leave a gas line hookup with no line attached for air to be pushed out. I zip tie a hop sack around the bottom of the racking cane, but it was not clogged. It seem the keg line in was the problem. Anyone have issues with this? The only thing I changed was I used a new line between the keg and cane.

I do what you describe all the time - fill through the liquid dip tube with an unattached gas disconnect on the gas post to vent, at about 2-3 psi. You were definitely filling through the liquid side, right? And you saw no bubbles in the racking lines? Not sure what the issue was unless your dip tube was dirty. It wasn't a bunch of foaming star san you saw, was it? Because that does happen. I let it keep filling while it's spitting out a bunch of foam until the actual beer level reaches the gas post. On the occasions when I've removed the lid after (mainly when I forget to add the dry hops) the beer itself is smooth without foam.

So I filled it with saniclean, emptied by opening up and pouring out. I usually push all the saniclean out to purge it but I was trying to conserve CO2. Then began racking from the carboy. I did see some air bubbles at the end. I also detached the hose from the lid, opened it up and just put the hose in the keg at the end but it was just a trickle coming out, and that is when I switched to the racking cane. I had the PSI cranked up to 10 at one point, I usually set it at 3 PSI for this. Maybe it was clogged, I don't know.

Back